• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IDE to Sata raid questions, please help.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dguy6789

OK, I have a 120GB 7200RPM 8MB Maxtor IDE harddrive. I was thinking of buying a sata 120GB drive, and putting an ide to sata connecter on the other, and doing raid 0.

Will I have any problems doing this? Are there any specific limitations? I have heard that I would need to buy a specific brand of harddrive?

Could anybody confirm this? Thanks in advance.

possibly. I say possibly because I am not sure about it... you have a ATA133 drive with a SATA150 drive... that's my only fear. You will have to reformat the machine though and get the floppy disk any way you slice it. The only thing that makes raid 0 so good is the ability to transfer large amounts of data quickly... and will not increase speed for day-to-day use (i.e. surfing the web, word processing). And look before you leap: RAID 0 makes it more likely to lose all your data - if one hard drive fails, you lose it all.

The only issue that may come up is the transfer speeds will only peak at 133 mb/s...
It must go as fast as the slowest drive...

So your saying it will work? Cause yuriman said those connecters only work with western digital drives. Thanks

I do not believe there is any performance gain using the IDE/SATA Converters. I only use the converters to add more HD space to my servers and nothing more. They are great for using extra IDE drives that are doing nothing. As for speed, it kraps out at the highest speed of the slowest drive.
Raid 0? probably looking for a failure. I have a drive that although it functions ok with the converter, I cant expect anything from it. I can't run compressions, Diagnostics, and sometimes defrag runs incomplete, anything beyond basic disk functions does not work at all and data sometimes is lost. :(

Back