• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New homemade NB block (pics)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EgeWorks

I just made this yesterday and today. All copper with 1/2" brass fittings. It has a diamond shaped water channel with no fins so it is about as non-restrictive as you can get. All soldered together with a removable top.

NBTop.jpg

NBBase.jpg

FizzledFiend said:
most excellent man! I bought myself a milling machine then ran out of time to use it..nice work :)
Wish I had that kind of money. Best I might beable to come up with is useing a special attachment that lets me move the work peice accuratly on a drill press w/ some milling bits on it.

Sorry I have no pics of the inside. I sealed it up before I took pics. But it is just a channel about 1.5" long and 7/8" wide, in a rounded diamond shape. Inlet and outet at each end.

I did this wth a drill press only. No mill unfortunately. It's two plates, the centre one being drilled right though then soldered to the bottom plate.

I have no idea how it will perform but it's gotta be better than the stock NB HSF on the NF7-s.

it's easy, you take the supplied plastic clips that come with the stock heatsink, pop them out of it, them pop them in the tabs and put on the board. Presto chango, water cooling.

What are you using to cut the plates out accurately? The cuts look really clean.

I just used a hacksaw to get it basically right then filed to get it nice and tight. The 10mm plate I didn't cut. You can buy it in rod form, I got the guy at the shop to cut it to the right length and I just drilled the inside out on a press.

Oh yeah, and the tabs ARE for mounting, I just havn't drilled the mounting holes in them yet, I'm gonna mark it directly from the stock sink which I havn't taken off yet.

Thanks for all the praise guys! It really wasn't hard to do and cost about $10-15. I just can't warrant spending heaps of money buying something that is so easy to fabricate myself.

Well it's yet to be hooked up so no results yet. I will add them when I've got them. How does one go about getting temps off a north bridge anyway? I spose I could put a temp probe next to the chip?

If I get any more speed out of my CPU it could be due to any of the multiple updates I'm doing on my rig at the moment. I'll do my best to keep you guys posted.

Back