• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer Keeps Freezing Inside Windows.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Enc3f4L0

Registered
My PC was working just fine up until today.

It started freezing randomly inside Win Xp pro.

I tried changing Bios and it persists...

The bios I was using when the freezing started was Tictacs D10 4x4 Turbo...

Right now I'm with D26 Black Mantaray.

I was using Merlins DC26 Taipan before D10 4x4 but it froze often playing some audio tracks with Sonar 3. D10 4x4 worked for months... I dunno what happened to start this freezing.

Maybe it's not even Bios related.

For the last few weeks I've been getting really high temps (49-55 idle / 59-65 playing games or whatever app)... The sink is seated properly, I changed thermal paste. The fan is at 7000rpm +-. And what's worst... I'm not overclocking and the CPU case is OPEN!!!

I installed AbitEQ and it is beeping (fast single beeps, 2 tones that vary) randomly as I type this... Is this normal? Cuz I don't see anything wrong with the settings....

I don't know what to do... If anyone has any idea how to talk me thru this problem please help out. I'll provide any info needed.

The freezing first started in Ultima Online (game) today (it was working fine for the last 2 weeks)... After that it happened again while loading windows (welcome screen), while loading taskbar, after mbm showed me that error msg, in Sonar (loading) and Ultima Online a few times again... I tried a few benchmarks in Sandra and it didn't freeze though....

I'm using Norton and it's updated so I don't think this could be virus...

Oh, CPU temps are reading from 36 to 45 C since my last bios update. But it's still freezing (didn't freeze in safe mode in winxp).

I don't even want to overclock... I'll be more than happy if it works stock without these problems.

Memtest... is that a specific app? Or any mem test will do?

Can I just do a Repair Install? I really don't wanna lose my stuff.

if anything try going back to abit bios to see if it corrects it .. that is if your not ocing it at all..

I think he is refering to a program called Memtest86. It is bootable program made specifically for testing your memory. You put the program on a floppy or CD, boot it, and let it run tests. I have found that when I push my system to far it always fails test number 5 in memtest, and I think this is common for the NF7.

You can get memtest86 here

If you have a floppy drive get the "Pre-Compiled Memtest86 v3.2 installable from Windows and DOS" Otherwise get an ISO and burn it.

Problem solved...

It was my CPU... I changed it to a 2400+ that was lying around here and no more freezing. So I went back to the store I bought it 2 months ago and they game me another one... I also bought a new cooler (vcom) until I buy a better one probly in march. I'm getting much better temps now... And it's really quiet. =D

Actually, the problem isn't fixed... It just stopped for awhile.

It's still freezing. I think I'll only fix it with format/reinstall XP. Repair install didn't seem to work...

Hmmm.... I just opened cpu-z and saw:

mobile.jpg

My Barton was a Desktop... not a Mobile... Am I stupid and am missing something (maybe cpu-z only displays as an XP-M..?) or did the store exchange it to a mobile and I only just noticed?

That's good huh? =D Aren't mobiles the ones that achieve higher FSBs?

wow... score, looks like you have yourself a mobile barton there. The store has pumped up the FSB and lowerd the multiplier to make it essentially the same as a desktop chip, but you can do what you want.

I'd say to put everything to stock and make sure it is stable there, but if it is you should get some nice overclocks with that chip.

Hmmm...

so the mobile isn't stock at 166 x 11.5?

What's stock then? I installed it myself and cleared CMOS, then loaded Optimized Defaults and that's what it set for my chip.

I've been seeing all sorts of L12 Mod posts...

Is it something I'll benefit from? Or is it not for Bartons (cuz they're already 166)? Forgive my ignorance...

The mobiles have a 133 fsb.I couldn't get past 166 without the l12 mod.I used the one that sets the fsb to 200.I beleive that the default setting should be 15x133 for a machine that can read the chip correctly.The 2600 moble is a 2.0 gig chip.I was stuck at the same setting before the mod with mine,anything higher would cause freezes in windows or bios.After inserting the wire into the socket it booted with a 200 fsb.I am running now at 11x200.I think you should do the same mod.

I searched around and found the best picture for the mod here. You need to do only the ah30 to ah28.At post you should se the ddr400 thing but it will most likely boot at 100x.From there i set fsb at 200 and 11x and it booted fine at the default volage or less.I really haven't tried more yet as I cannot get the sata to work with only one drive connected.After I resovle that I will try more.

Back