• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cant login on mandrake

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ps2cho

Ok i got mandrake finally reaching the first boot screen...now it wont logon !!
I type in the password and the screen shakes and i guess that means incorrect.

what do i do ?

It's a good idea to post in your first post with new questions and not make a new thread for every question you have. It lets more people know where you are and what you have done as well as not flood the forums with threads.

Personally, I'd just reinstall.

sorry my bad. yea i guess ill just reinstall =/ 3rd times the charm hey

Are you trying to log in as root?

Also, linux is case sensitive.

I'm not sure if you have to set up user accounts in Mandrake. You do in Gentoo.

ya i didnt setup any accounts cos i thought i could use the root.
im reinstalling. ill make an account this time.

and yes i tried numerous times checking the case

omg come on...this is rediculous...now the mouse doenst work.
nothing i do will make the mouse work

tried usb mouse, tried my usb wireless keyboard+mouse, tried the plugin thingy mouse(the very basic one whatever the name for it is) nothing works.

can it get anymore frustrating than this..

4 times reinstalled...plz no more

ur speaking chinese lol...
it worked before...thats all i can say...

X windows has a config file called XF86Config. You have to specify in it certain information about the mouse if you want it to work.

For gentoo, it's in /etc/X11

MRD said:
X windows has a config file called XF86Config. You have to specify in it certain information about the mouse if you want it to work.

For gentoo, it's in /etc/X11

Its in the same place for Mandrake as well.

that doesnt make much sense to me...how can i get my mouse to work?
I just reinstalled the program again, mouse works during setup, as soon as its finished, i reboot, mouse doesnt work. whats going on ?

Sounds like there is a driver that you need that is on the install disk but that you haven't installed to work as part of the operating system itself. So it works when your system was booted from the install disc, but it does not work when your system was booted from the hard drive.

I don't know mandrake well, but if it were gentoo, I'd go into the kernel config program and start looking for drivers for the mouse, rebuild the kernel, and go from there.

PS Reinstalling won't fix it, so don't bother doing that.

as i thought =/
thing is, it worked before in previous ones, the times when i couldnt logon the mouse worked, now i can log on, the mouse doenst work...

typical huh =/

ps2cho said:
that doesnt make much sense to me...how can i get my mouse to work?
I just reinstalled the program again, mouse works during setup, as soon as its finished, i reboot, mouse doesnt work. whats going on ?

Slow down, stop reinstalling 5 times to fix a simple problem that you keep missing in set-up. Load the install disk again, and start over, read every screen, and cafefully choose the correct options. If it worked once, it will work again, you are just rushing it, and not configuring the mouse properly in the install.

yea thing is i did, i selected a PS/2 Mouse and it didnt work... =/

YAY !! i got it this time.

OK its booted up and its all good
i got a question and a problem

Ok problem first....My screen is too big, i have to drag across to get to the other side, i cant seem to find where i resize my screen

and my question is, how would i start to go about hooking up to the internet. i have a wireless card, do i put the installation cd and go from their ?

ps2cho said:
YAY !! i got it this time.

OK its booted up and its all good
i got a question and a problem

Ok problem first....My screen is too big, i have to drag across to get to the other side, i cant seem to find where i resize my screen

and my question is, how would i start to go about hooking up to the internet. i have a wireless card, do i put the installation cd and go from their ?

Edit the screens section in, /etc/X11/XF86config-4

Include the resolutions you want, as well as the color depth. It should be semi-configured, and there is also an example you can look at if you get stuck.

You can also configure this graphically in KDE in most distros. Its in the control center under the peripherals section.

ok thanks ill take a look, oh and i really dont understand when u say /etc/X11/XF86config-4
is that a directory? like C:/program files ?

ok that did the trick, thanks,
now how would i go about getting my wireless card installed? is it the same as windows ? install drivers and away? or is their more configuration

Back