• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Temperature Guide for A64.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Quattro

Hey,

What are the temp barriers for A64's I have got a Newcastle core.
What temps are safe?

It's running at 54* now, that's a lot hotter than my Barton ever did, but is this okay for a 64bit chip?

My guess is it should be close to max but that would depend on your vcore. My max temp with 1.7v @ 2.4 same cpu as your's is 44-46c. So that would really depend on what speed and voltage you are using IMO.

1.6v @ 2.2 is... the same as stock temp, apparently.
I can only get it to run at 2.2ghz with crap memory timings due to the crappiness of my ram. I need to get some more.

What would you reccomend?

For memory there's a few brand's out there with samsung TCCD on it I would go with either the g-skill stuff or the PQI that has TCCD chip's on it but then again I also like the patriot stuff they have out there. You might want to get something better then a stock HSF tho. Temp's look pretty high to be trying to overclock much more I would say get a xp90 or 120.

Are Crucial Ballistix any good?

I was looking at getting a new heatsink, but I wasn't sure which ones can be fitted straight out of the box without having to go and find an adaptor of some kind.

Yea I hear that ram is pretty good but I would still recommend the TCCD chips stuff if you wanting good fsb with low voltage.

Adata PC4500 Vitesta
Adata PC4800 Vitesta
Apacer PC4000
Centon Advanced DDR
Corsair PC3200XL
Corsair XMS PC3200C2 Rev4.1 2-3-3-6-1T
Geil UltraX pc3200 ~ Brainpower PCB
Gskill PC4400 (various) ~ Brainpower PCB ~ Not in UK (15/10/04)
Kingston HyperX PC 3200ULK2 ~ Not in UK (15/10/04)
Mushkin PC3200 Rev.2
OCZ PC3200 Rev.2 ~ Brainpower PCB
OCZ PC3700 Platinum
Patriot Extreme Performance PDC5123200+XBLK ~ Brainpower PCB
PQI 3200 Turbo 2-2-2-5 ~ Brainpower PCB
Samsung PC4000 CL3 ~ Not in UK (15/10/04)
Twinmos Twister Pro (ALL BRANDS?)

Taken from xtremesystem's

Thanks. Which one would you say is the best? In other words, what would you buy?

Here you'll find a list of all memory sticks using TCCD:
TCCD
I'm pretty sure, there are online shops in the UK which will carry at least one of these memory types. :)

.... The OCZ is £230 over here in the UK..
That's stupid. The Ballisitix is way cheaper, is there really much of a difference?

Quattro said:
Hey,

What are the temp barriers for A64's I have got a Newcastle core.
What temps are safe?

It's running at 54* now, that's a lot hotter than my Barton ever did, but is this okay for a 64bit chip?

AMD tech doc does not specify the max die temperature except for the 130 nm A64 mobile which is 95 C.

For the rest, it specifies using max case temperature T_CASE_max, which is 70 C for 130 nm and 65 C for 90 nm.

I did some estimation based on that and extend to some lower bound on max die temperature: around 88 C for 130 nm, 78 C for 90 nm.

A64 max temperature (post 71)

Also a link for voltage,

Note on Absolute Max Voltage rating (post 25)

Quattro said:
Are Crucial Ballistix any good?

I was looking at getting a new heatsink, but I wasn't sure which ones can be fitted straight out of the box without having to go and find an adaptor of some kind.

Crucial Ballistix are great, if not the best for mid-ranged timings (aka not 280+ or <218) according to Anandtech. Here's the article: DDR533, DDR480, DDR436.

Reason given by Anandtech is that they can hold much tighter timings at these speeds. TCCD is more like a huge fad at the moment I think, lots of other stuff that works just as well really.

Back