• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Good information sites for all things computer?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Semyaza

I am interested to learning more about computers in general and was wondering what sites would be good sites to look into. Every time I want to look something up I have to sort through a bunch of crap sites to find what I need. So got a favorite site post it up!

Well, you might be looking for the wrong thing - any site explaining computers in general will be crappy IMO. I think all of the following sites are the best in their respective concentrations:

If you are looking for information on CPU's or various odds and ends and how to maximize their performance, go to www.overclockers.com

If you are looking for information on keeping your computer quiet, go to www.silentpcreview.com

If you are looking for information on storage, go to www.storagereview.com

If you are looking for information on watercooling, go to www.procooling.com

If you are looking for information on gaming/video cards, I prefer http://www.firingsquad.com/

If you want to find something at a specific site, go to google and use the format keywords site:www.findkeywordatthissite.com. To find overclocking at www.overclockers.com you would type this into google - overclocking site:www.overclockers.com

If you want everything in one place, go to www.ocforums.com and just don't stop asking questions until you have all the answers. :D

My problem is I am not looking for anything specific. I want to get an intimate knowledge in computing but do not know where to start. I am in school currently and have had basic courses already and next semester I start more in depth classes. But the rate of learning in school is to slow for my taste.

But when I start reading about something specific a lot of times it takes prerequired knowledge. Computers cover so much area it’s hard to find a starting point really. I’m looking to find a site that has somewhat of a starting point so if I read through the articles in some form of order I will already know of everything I need to know to understand the new concepts.

As far as were I am at in computing knowledge, I have been using them for around 10-12 years now starting as gaming as a kid (Doom, police quest, old school shiot),and to do homework and what not. So I am used to GUI’s like a mad man. Recently took intro to computers, fundamentals of Unix, principles of programming, and A+ hardware. Add to that building my own computer and that’s about the extent of what I know.

Basically I’m the clerk that keeps getting yelled at from the IT department, MAUAHahhAhAhaH.

With that background, logical progression would next be A+ software. After that or instead of that perhaps you could study for microsoft certification with an OS of your choice.

The problem, as I see it, with what you are asking, is that if I were to walk up to you and say, "tell me about computers", where would you start?

If you were to ask me this, I would probably ask you for a monthly stipend and several years to finish my thesis.

Better areas of concentration would be:

Programming - pick a language

Operating systems - pick an OS

Hardware - pick a component and investigate its related attributes thoroughly

Software - Pick an application or package

Networking - focus on OSI model and examine individual layers and associate protocols/standards

Modern AMD/Intel History - pick an era by socket type/northbridge chipset

Can you imagine the depth and expertise necessary to cover all these subjects completely? You won't find one site doing it, so you really need to look to yourself and figure out exactly which direction is of most interest to you right now. When you come across something you are not familiar with, take a slight tangent and google it, then pick up where you left off.

If you want a very light, or broad overview which may be hit or miss... you might try howstuffworks or wikipedia. Wikipedia can be pretty good sometimes. HSW is a lot of fluff, but gives some good basic details.

Last edited:
HSW is one of the sites I do use but like you said lots of fluff. Basically I need to just pick a topic and learn as much as I can enjoy or use and move on. Ty for reply la.

Honestly, if you want to pick up bits and pieces about everything... You'd be surprised how much you learn from being an avid reader of the forums.

In less than a year of membership here, I can say that through the forums and tinkering with my own system, I learned a ton of information that probably would have taken me several years of on the job experience to gather.

I spent a lot of time reading through "view new posts", and looking at whatever topics interested me, then researching by using google and the forum search tool so that I could answer questions from others... They got answers, I learned something. For a broad sense of feeling like you know whats going on inside computers - I don't know if you can beat the experience you get from here.

I'm a senior in CIS at Kent State University, and I obtained a PC/LAN Analyst position at Sherwin-Williams HQ in April - If I said my college education was more useful to me than my forums experience, I would be lieing to you. As far as getting my job done, I learned 90% of what I knew coming in on the forums, and the forums were also a large part of my interview discussion. There are other aspects which have been refined in school as well as business coursework and writing though.

This might leave you with some gaps here and there, but the questions and problems run into on the forums reflect many common issues, and their solutions represent many useful practices and tools anyone who wants to work with computers should be familiar with. With enough individual effort and help from others, there is a ton to learn from this place. I keep coming back because I can see how much new members learn after being offered help from those of us who have been around this place for a while now. :)

Last edited:
Back