• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Custom Building a Case

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jkbanman

Registered
Well here we go. I am custom building a case from scratch.

Material 3/4" MDF... (Dont care that it will be heavy... doesnt move)
12" wide x 25" tall x 21" deep... I like Big
Being cut to spec with cnc... cost = free.

Exterior Color - Unsure open to suggestions. Looking to something different.
Interior Color - Unsure but must be light cuz its getting UV paint as well
Internals-Dual PSU, 12 case fans, UV Lights
Windows - 2 Side and Top.
Wire management - You will only see an inch or 2 of wire are hd, cdrom etc and at mb. (Building hidden channels into case for wires)

Not sure how I am going to get the left side panel open/come off. thinking about hidden hinges.

If anyone has any suggestions please post. Will post pics as soon as I get some. Getting the case cut probably next week maybe this week.

Last edited:
If you're getting the CNC work for free, why not go with a more attractive material like polycarbonate or aluminum? You can get either locally from shops that sell off their scrap.

And as for the side panel access, I recommend spring assisted concealed hinges. The all hold themselves open or closed and some models have quick removal mechanism that would allow you to remove the side panel if required without having to remove and refasten the hinges. Your local Home Depot or Lowe's should have a few different kinds.

Last edited:
Yes my dad owns a construction company and has a cnc. Wood is easier to work with. Its a little heavier but that does not concern me. Wood can be made to look just as good just as easily.
I also need to figure out a duct of some sort. I am getting a hole cut for a 120mm fan. Hopefully my measurements are close so it is also straight in front of cpu.

Well it will be getting cut probably today or tomorrow. Its gonna be a beast but a cool beast. Put wings on it and it will fly. Will post picks of the raw materials once they are cut.

well here are the preliminary pics.

There will be a shelf if your wondering what the line is inside. All the fan hole on the inside are cut out halfway thru the wood in a square so they are closer to the outside, same with the windows in he left side panel.

Attachments

• bcknlft.jpg
    bcknlft.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 258
  • bckntop.jpg
    bckntop.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 241
  • frntnlft.jpg
    frntnlft.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 232
That is an AMAZING CASE! I love it..I really do lol Where do you live? and how much would it cost to have something like that done? hmmmm insted of buying the lain li...omfg

I am tossing around the idea of selling these cases. I wanna see how this is going to go together. This one is 3/4 mdf, I will probably revise the plans for 1/2" mdf so it is lighter. because it is quite large. I live just outside of winnipeg manitoba canada.

Just for reference its 25" tall 21" deep and 12" wide. I think I don't remember exactly the specs. I dwarfs my raidmax 868

Last edited:
the power switch I know it has to be a momentary switch but what voltage does it need to be rated for. 12 volts I am assuming. same with the leds like the hdd activity and power leds 12 volts? Correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited:
first of all, that looks like it's going to rule. i think you're right about the voltages there. i'm going to build a case too, but it's going to be commercial. it has to wait until i finish construction on the new cooling device i'm working on. imagine a case built around the idea of extreme cooling :D

i guess you could call it phase change, it's a new type of cooling. i plan to make it affordable though. you'll see it for sale online in about a year if i pull this off.

well construction has began. I got it all screwed together today and holes drilled for the fan screws, i figured out how to mount the back part that holds the pci slots and so on just figuring out how to mount the psu might have more pics tomorrow

It's probably too late but I was going to suggest including a removable motherboard tray. If, in the back, you cut around the I/O area and the PCI card area you could slide it in and out like a drawer. I'm sure you see what I mean. I think that feature on cases is the best.

yea it is too late for that good idea though. maybe i will incorporate that into my revision.

Back