• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Christmas Woes....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trueplaya4ever8

:santa: Christmas is very close, and yet i still cant decide on what i want, so i thought i would see what my fellows members think.

A. I could get an Athlon 64 3200/3000 w/ a k8n neo2, thermalright 120, 3 120mm fans (2 for my case) vantec nexus, 16x nec dvd burner, and some logitech X530 speakers. Then half life 2 and COD: UO. that would be around $650

B. Newer video card, a gig of memory (Some form of Tccd or Kingston value :p )
Nec dvd burner and the Vantec nexus. Half life 2 and COD: UO. maybe watercooling or some raptors, or ever just keep what i didnt spend and save for an upgrade.
Up to $650.

what are your thoughts?

thanks for any input. :santa:

That's how much you get for Christmas :eek: can you say coming out of college fund lol.

I'd go with choice 1 personally if you want a new system, but ditch COD, the DVD Burner, and sell your current rig, then buy a decent graphics card for your new A64 system.

I'd go with B, highlighting a newer video card (9800 something will keep you in the ball game till s939 is affordable). a gig of mem never hurt anybody, and watercooling could add another 400-500mhz with that chip. so 200 for mem, 180 for 9800, and 150 for watercooing and got $120 to blow and a quite an improvement in ur benchmarks and performance. (as opposed to getting the K8N where you would be stuck after getting a PCI-E graphics card, the cpu, and Mb).

edit: don't spend money on a Athlon64 when there is a good chance there will be new chips in a few months that could OC a whole lot better.

nicspits said:
I'd go with B, highlighting a newer video card (9800 something will keep you in the ball game till s939 is affordable). a gig of mem never hurt anybody, and watercooling could add another 400-500mhz with that chip. so 200 for mem, 180 for 9800, and 150 for watercooing and got $120 to blow and a quite an improvement in ur benchmarks and performance. (as opposed to getting the K8N where you would be stuck after getting a PCI-E graphics card, the cpu, and Mb).

edit: don't spend money on a Athlon64 when there is a good chance there will be new chips in a few months that could OC a whole lot better.

Thats what i am doing. I am upgrading my XP mobile (bought new dfi mobo) Getting raptors,putting my watercooling back in,dvd burners/cd burners,New ram,got a new psu, case modding supples, and new sound system :D

well if i get all those kinda upgrades i would be set for everything except new cpu and mobo later on next year. how do you like your p160? I honestly dont see me craming water cooling in this lanboy. I would want to make an external watercooling setup if i kept the lanboy, which i dont have much of a clue on how i would do it.

I too would go for setup B. I often see too much focus put on the CPU, especially if you do a lot of gaming. You'd see a much bigger gain from a new vid card and a gig of ram and maybe a raptor then you would from an A64 platform. And everything you buy now you will be able to carry forward on to your A64 system with the exception of maybe the vid card for a pci-e card.

any other thoughts, i dont think i am gonna get watercooling, pry just upgrades and what not. 1Gb of GSKill, Nec dvd burner, nexus fan controller, 2 120mm fans. just now need to decide if i should get a raptor and the new vcard...

I would go with option B because your cpu and current overclock will not choke the 9800 pro and vice versa. It will be a well balanced system. Overall you will have much more discernable improvement for gaming.

Choosing is soooooo hard but make sure regardless of what we think you get what you want. After all its not about needing but having!!!! RIGHT?.....IMO!

lol, i just change my mind quite easily, i do not wish to upgrade to an athlon 64 to have to change to one of the newer soi ones coming out soon. now just trying to budget that last 300. I am thinking i can get a aiw 9700pro to hold me off, and then maybe a 74gb raptor, or water cooling and that 9700.... hmm, but i kno watercooling is not something i would like to try in this case, so i would want to make an external one. But its nice to have second opinions.

trueplaya4ever8 said:
well if i get all those kinda upgrades i would be set for everything except new cpu and mobo later on next year. how do you like your p160? I honestly dont see me craming water cooling in this lanboy. I would want to make an external watercooling setup if i kept the lanboy, which i dont have much of a clue on how i would do it.

Watercooling is possible in the p-160 as it is a larger mid tower (full size mid i think they call it) I removed the HDD rack to fit res BAD IDEA! I would go external anyway jut have 1 hole in 1 hole out,and put the tube through. I love my p-160 and am calling antec for a new HD bin also :D

and i changed my mind lots too :D

I figure that buy what fits you best, I was going to go SLI,but i didnt feel like having a buggy system (New products always bug out IMO) So i kept my XP and when the time is right,will upgrade very cheaply seeing as all my components are still "fast" I would get a raptor,NEC burner,Liteon combo reader+burner,SATA storage drive(i am doing this getting 200gb storage) A nice soundcard+speakers,cooling

Since you're planning to go A64 eventually and also want to upgrade something now, I would suggest upgrading something you can migrate to an nf4 (which is what I would suggest wating for when you do your A64 switch).
SO
That leaves you with the HDD, RAM, or that crazy H2O setup.
PERSONALLY, I would suggest you go with a Gig of some hella nice ram (like the new OCZ VX and an OCZ ddr booster). That way you can easlily throw it into any A64 system you decide to go with, it would allow for a wide range of overclocking abilities (which we all know it improves performance in almost every aspect) and just having more RAM will also be an improvent in its self!

EDIT: A nice speaker system like the Klipsch promedia 5.1's or something might be a nice addition as well:)

I am thinking i could just bank the extra money and keep the 9600p till i upgrade to pci-e. Get the gig, dvd burner, world of warcraft, half life 2, and call of duty united offensive.

you guys think it would be a bad idea to add a 6600gt to my list? I think it would do me well for about 3-5 months. 1gb of tccd, 6600gt, Dvd burner, fan controller, World of Warcraft and maybe half life 2. :D

an AGP 6600GT? I guess if you're only gonna keep it for 3-5 months (??!?) it would be ok.... Whatever you want to do and however you want to upgrade I suppose.

don't forget the watercooling, with an xp-m you'll probably hit between 2.4-2.5, but potentially 2.5-2.7 if its a good chip and you'll be able to use it on your future ones= excellent investment.

Back