• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC to PC network problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

340Duster

Both machines are running Win2kPro of the same version. I am using a Cat5e PC to PC cable. The problem is, one system shows the other computer in the "computers near me" however when I click to bring up the other system it won't access it. It either says the list of servers is unavaliable or it can't access the path. I know they both have different IP numbers. The other machine can ping this one, however when I attempt to ping it from this machine it gives a request timed out error. Both are on the same workgroup, so I'm not sure what else I need to change.
Thanks in advance,
Jeff

are they both on the same subnet mast and ip scheme? such as (cpu a=192.168.5.1 subm a=255.255.255.0) (cpu a=192.168.5.2 subm b=255.255.255.0) and this is a "crossover" cable correct? not a patch cable? im just putting out ideas here. any other info that you could give would help too

yes the subnet mask is the same for both systems. and yes it is a crossover cable. thanks for the reply.

ip scheme is the same also? if you have a firewall up, try disableing it temorarialy to see if that fixes it.

hmmm, does there happen to be a hardware firewall up on one of the nics? i know some newer boards have a hardware firewall built into them and that could prevent access.

about the ip scheme. if your ip is 255.255.255.0, then the first 3 numbers must be the same. ex=192.168.123.x the fourth can be anything from 1 to 254.

Yes those numbers of the IP's are the same. And as far as a hardware firewall, I am not aware of one on either system. The most advanced networking device is my Realtek Gigabit Ethernet NIC.

do you have netbeui protocol installed in networking ,see network properties -protocols,if not try to add NBeui

Last edited:
Back