• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

any tips for an IE user switching to firefox?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Twigs

due to getting fed up with massive spyware problems and advice from a lot of people, i have switched to firefox... i really have only 1 complaint.... the google toolbar is only for IE... i did find a plugin thing(extension?) for firefox but it was really not very much like it and I couldnt customize it at all... i was very disapointed in the google search thing that is built into firefox... thats basically all it is. oh, and the flashing text thing when you are typing is insanely fast... along with the smiley animations(the ones im staring at while typing this)

that's odd i'm not getting any of those problems (other than the different google search bar).

not having the google extras never bothered me, but i understand there is supposed to be an extension which adds all the functionality and more of the IE version... firefox is still relatively new and you'll see it and its extensions evolve in the short run if you stick with it i've been using it since 0.8 beta, and man it still seems weird NOT running adaware and the like every few days ...

on customizing extensions: goto tools --> extensions --> click the extension in question to highlight it, and hit the options button on the bottom right... and cross your fingers - many of the extensions you know and love have customizingish options in there...

on the super fast smilies and such - yea that's just a little weird... didja try repairing the installation? if it helps i'm using 1.0 now w/o any problems

yeah, the smilies shouldnt be that fast. Also a tip, there are some good skins to download if you havnt stumbled across them yet

Stick with it! :) I used the googlebar add-in for Firefox for a while, but ended up removing it because I usually only use the Google search built-in to Firefox. A lot of people tend to go overboard with adding extensions - the more you install, the slower Firefox will load. I recommend getting Ad-block and Tweak Network Settings at minimum. Also, check out the keyword search capabilities of Firefox. I switched from IE about 6 months ago and never looked back. :D Well, I do still use IE to update Windows, but I use it reluctantly.

X1g

well ive been using firefox all the time now and i have offically switched... maybe you just dont notice it but I did a side by side comparrison between firefox and IE and the moving smileys definately move noticably faster in firefox... minor detail... and i miss the thing where you could click on a word you searched for in the google toolbar and it would auto search the page for that word.... but i guess i can live with it. thanks for the recommendations on extentions

Back