• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bought the Fortron Blue Storm 500 watt psu.... Was it a good choice?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TUK101

I have been using Fortron and Sparkle for the past 3-4 years now and have always been very happy with thier products. So naturally when it came time to upgrade from my 350 watt Fortron psu I logged onto Newegg and did a search through the Fortron PSU's. This is what I found and ordered: http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-104-934&depa=0
As you can see if you follow the link, it has sleaved lines and a nice color and looks to be very efficient and lots of power. After trying to run raid and several fans and a dvd reader and burner it has been straining my 350 watt Fortron to where I was getting errors from my FX5900 saying that the power connector to it was unhooked, which it wasnt but rather the 12 volt line had dropped that low. Hopefully this new 500 watt Fortron will do the trick, especially since I just plopped down just shy of $100 for it lol. :bang head :santa:

plz let us know how well it performs. hope it's a good one :) .

larva, you seem entusiastic :p , what did you hear about this one?

Larva's probably had the most experience with Fortron of anyone else on the board...

I'm waiting for this one to appear in Canada too for my next build. Fortron's already got me hooked, and I've only owned one of their PSU's ;)

Larva is the one that turned me onto Fortron. He is also the one who brought it to my attention that Fortron and Sparkle are pretty much on in the same. It surprises me to hear that there are people who have bad things to say about Fortron since when I used to frequent this area of the furums a year ago Fortron had nothing but a good name.

TUK101 said:
It surprises me to hear that there are people who have bad things to say about Fortron since when I used to frequent this area of the furums a year ago Fortron had nothing but a good name.

They've just gotten really popular... no manufacturer has a perfect record, and usually the few who have had a Fortron die rush over here to tell the world about it ;)

So whats the big deal about not having a -5V rail? What uses that? Would that be why there are two +12V rails?

I recieved my Blue Storm 500 Watt Forton PSU today. All that I can say is wow. I installed with with my newly purchased NF7 today and the psu works great with this mobo. It was also the easiest to install psu that I have every installed due to the wrapped wires and the abundance of connectors. There are 3 molex connectors on each strand and I believe that there are 5 strands, not to mention the sata power connectors and the 2 different auxilliary power mobo connectors. The fan on the psu is pretty quiet and has a nice blue light as well. Nothing but good things to say here folks.

The -5v has no function in a PC, you will not miss it.

The reason that the Fortron 500AX and other ATX12V 2.01 power supplies have no -5v line is that the official ATX12V 2.01 specification (June 2004) no longer calls for it. There is also no AUX connector anymore and the guideline further calls for two 12V lines if load exceeds 18A.
In other words, there is nothing about the design of this PS that is a departure from the new guidelines.

You can read it all for yourself here:

http://www.formfactors.org/developer/specs/ATX12V PSDG2.01.pdf

TUK, how's the rails?

FIZZ3, i know most won't miss -5 rail... except the ones with ocz ram booster - it needs it for the lcd.

MBM 5 reads like this.
+12V - 11.67
+5V - 4.92
+3.3V - 3.3

This is a bit alarming that the readings are so low on the +12V line. Of course I am running 4 80mm fans and 1 X blower exhaust fan plus 1 120mm chrome Evercool fan. Not to mention 2 dvd drives and 8 usb ports. Still, those are about the same rails that my 350 watt Fortron was running. The OC on my 2200 mobile cpu is much more stabile now, granted I changed to an NF7 from an A7N8X along with the psu. So are these 12V rails too low in your opinion? Larva?

TUK101 said:
MBM 5 reads like this.
+12V - 11.67
+5V - 4.92
+3.3V - 3.3

How does a multimeter read? One cannot expect accuracy from BIOS or software I'm afraid - they're too easily influenced by motherboard circuitry.

yeah really, my monitor programs read about 11.61v and my multimeter reads 12.03. software monitors are rarely to be trusted, especially when it comes to PSU's.

Back