• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum Owners - Fix for unstable voltages and high CPU temps.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FearTec

If your MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum reports high CPU temps and unstable voltages you may want to update your core center to v1.7.2.0. I also updated to BIOS 1.3 but that did nothing new, v1.4 did not work. The BIOS (even v1.2) always showed stable volts and low cpu temps, the Windows tools let it down.

MSI Core Center 1.7.2.0 fixes my temp and voltage problems. Before my temps would jump to 67c within 2 mins after loading games and my voltages were lower than a manic depressive on the **** (aussie slang for alcohol). Also they updated the NB description to Sys Temp. The Sys temp also is now true rather than the 13c before.

Also is you use MBM5 (we all do) change your Main Sensor Chip to "Winbond W83627THF-A" from the default one that is selected when you select a "N8N Neo" from the setup screen, also make sure the Bus is set to "ISA" and "ISA Address" is set to "$0290".

Another week of high temps and I would have upgraded to water cooling.

About time too MSI, now I can continue folding for OCAU and Overclock.

but have you gotten independent temperature readings or did you just find a way to get peace of mind? I've been waiting for a fix ever since I got this board but I'm not about try it just yet. I'm not calling bulls*** on it but what proof you got that it actually fixed it....

It great to see people working to better such a great mobo

I downloaded the new version and it seems to show stable readings.. whether or not they are fake who knows.

Tekko> but what proof you got that it actually fixed.

My heatsink has never been hot, I have the air con on and I have heaps of cooling and a kick arse heatsink. There is no way it was reaching 67c before. I was folding and flogging the CPU last night and the temps just nudged 54c and not 67c).

>did you just find a way to get peace of mind?

My PC's temps are now in the average range so my mind is now at peace.

My temps are great now http://simon.fearby.com/system/A64/ (Live Readings)

Hhe means that the temps were not actually as hot as reported...the only problem was incorrect temp readings, not actual high temps.

Yes that's what I mean WA2...the temp reading might be stable but are they accurate?. If it report a stable 40C but actual temp is 35(or vice versa) it's still an inaccurate reading...that's what I'm interested in finding out how close to the real temp is the reading is after the fix

Back