• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What To Do With An Old Hdd..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

threeme2189

Drowning my sorrow and misery in apple juice
one day i was thinking what i could make a superfast fan out of and a question popped into my head."whats the fastest spinning thing in my computer?(except that gazillion RPM Delta)
and it came to me THE HARDDRIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!! :attn: :attn:
now all i have to do is get my hands on an old (and still spinning) drive, open it up, drink somthing, take all the unneeded guts out (all the plates except the top one and the thing that writes/reads the plates) and cut the top plate into a fan shape!!!

will this work? if anyone tries tell me and if i get a harddrive i will tell you what happens!!!

You are a little far away, but I have some extra 4 gig drives laying around. The platters will break if cut and spun up, but theoretically, you could replace them with the blades off a delta or something, epoxied on. Imagine the possibilities with a 15k scsi drive. Interesting first post, welcome, and always try those crazy ideas, but be sure to take video recordings if you ever do it and post them here.

And imagine the injuries if it fails or you get too close. I thought 3,000 RPM fans hurt (especially the sharp thermaltake ones), but ouch.

im not sure if the motors in most hdd's will have the powah nessecary to spin a fan at the disk's rated speed.
but who knows it might get up to speed, and just take a minute to do it.
i guess the only way to find out is to try it...

~Magick_Man~

If you want a really fast fan, just take the fan and little shaft part(attached to the blades, keep it this way) and stick it into your dremel, you may hit 20000rpm but you may also be injured pretty severely if your not careful, they do tend to blow up at that speed. I did it a while ago, its pretty cool. You can also put them in loosely, point it strait up(outside) and crank it up and watch it shoot up really high:)
Theres a thread around here somewhere about it.(Im sure that kind of load wont hit 30000rpm that most dremels are rated at because thats quite the load. You get about 500-600cfm comming off an 80mm fan, its pretty sweet.

Jon

You get about 500-600cfm comming off an 80mm fan, its pretty sweet
hehehe who needs tornadoes with fans like this.
that would destroy all. including you if you got in it's way.
i think i might try thir with one of my 120mm delta's i have lying around.
throw it on the dremel and try to dodge fast flying shards of plastic.

~Magick_Man~

also, when messing with high RPM fan stuff, be sure to post any injuries BEFORE going to the hospital.

Seriosly though, be careful.

ya i saw that awsome dremel forum somwhere!!! awsome s-hit!!!!

if i ever get a harddrive i think il mod it into a fan plug it into an old PSU with
a loooooooooooong extension cable and "amp it up" :attn: :burn: (my little bro watches action man)
would a hdd platter make a good grinding disk?
GZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ coohoohool!!!!!! :burn: :burn: :burn:

There are some 7000rpm fans out there, there even was a 15k once.
I cant remember where I saw them.
Thanks

The infamous 60mm Delta Screamer was up there, 8000 RPM I think, and there is a 40mmx28mm Delta that is 9500 RPM. I think the platters would explode if used for grinding, post pictures before going to the hospital, or just set up a webcam.

Last edited:
I think the one problem you will run into is that a hard drive motor is not meant to spin constantly. But i say try it and see what happens.

Has anyone tried it yet, 'cause if not I got an old 5.4GB 5400 RPM just dyin to get ****ed up. I just might do it tonight.

I'll keep you posted

Back