• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best memory for a winchester 3500+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hybris6

Hi I'm going to build a new computer with winchester 3500 cpu and a nforce4 pci-e mobo (Still waiting for those to come out)..

I can't really decide what memory to buy (I haven't had much time to do research since school takes up 24 hours/day atm).

I guess I should have some sort of pc3200 memory but I dont know what brands are good. Also I dont really know what to look for with timings, latency and so on so I would apriciate if someone could help me.

I also wonder what cas stands for and if it should be high or low (like if cas 3 is better than cas 2.5 or the other way around), also what brands are good.. is it worth the extra bucks to get a branded memory vs a noname??

Thanks

edit: the mobo Im thinking of supports up to pc 3200 and I seen the cpu does too.. is it possible to run faster memories anyway or are they totally incompatible with the mobo cpu??

cetoole said:
GSkill PC4400 TCCD is the best, and lower latencies are the best, like what I am running.

Hmm I can't seem to find if the memories are TCCD or not on the shops homepage. So I can run PC 4400 memory even if it says cpu and mobo is only compatible with 3200? (I suppose it wont matter since u usually can run memories on slower frequency than what they are intended for.. but im a little unsure... wouldn't like to waste all that money if I cant use em)

The shop is in swedish but you should be able to figure it out. The link is http://www.datorbutiken.com/se/

Then to your left there is a scrolldown menu choose minnen (=memory)

the memory info is in this format
Kingston KVR400X64C3A/512 512Mb DDR PC3200 400MHz 184pin Unbuffered CL3

so it the language shouldnt be much problem

The other shop is also swedish

http://www.dustin.se/DacsaPortal/
choose datorkomponenter then minnen in the left menu.

I'm buying the rest of my comps from those 2 shops so I would really like to find a good memory there to save shipping.. plus I don't really know what shipping to sweden cost.. wouldn't want to spend 100$ on memory and 200$ on shipping heh.

Thx for your help )

Some people like the ADATA memory, I see the first shop carries it. You may want to have a look around at some benchmarks at the stuff. Corsair is also some solid memory, looks like both places carries it.

The best overall RAM is Samsung TCCD varients. I know alot of forign shops cary corsair.

Take a look around and see if you can find Corsair's PC3200XL (xtreme latency) The stock timings should be 2-2-2-5 (or 6)

Thanks the memory I found was:

CORSAIR 1GB DIMM DDR PC3200 (2X512MB) 2-2-2-5 LED

Corsair CMX512-3200XLPRO 2x512Mb (tot. 1024Mb/1Gb) Dual DDR PC3200 XL 2-2-2-5 400Mhz PRO Series with activity LEDs

and Corsair CMX512-3200XL XMS3200 2x512Mb (tot. 1024Mb/1Gb) Dual DDR PC3200 XL 2-2-2-5 400MHz with Heatsink

is there any difference in performance between the XL and XLPRO or is it just the activity leds?

Thanks guys :)

get the XLs, they are the same as the PROs minus the leds
hybris6 said:
Thanks the memory I found was:

CORSAIR 1GB DIMM DDR PC3200 (2X512MB) 2-2-2-5 LED

Corsair CMX512-3200XLPRO 2x512Mb (tot. 1024Mb/1Gb) Dual DDR PC3200 XL 2-2-2-5 400Mhz PRO Series with activity LEDs

and Corsair CMX512-3200XL XMS3200 2x512Mb (tot. 1024Mb/1Gb) Dual DDR PC3200 XL 2-2-2-5 400MHz with Heatsink

is there any difference in performance between the XL and XLPRO or is it just the activity leds?

Thanks guys :)

Cool thanks for the info guys :)

Soon I too will have a nice sign here I think ;) I already ordered a Lian Li pc7 case (wanted the pc71 but noone in whole sweden sells it and the companies I asked wouldn't order it for me... but then I thought I actually dont need a bigtower so I went for the pc7 instead. Im gonna mod it myself with my dremmel and the idea is to have a sidewindow that looks like a radioactive sign. Then I will do a custommade watertank to place in the 5 inch? (where cd goes) slots.. On the front I will cut out a small alien logo and place a diffuser behind the eyes and then a red led connected to my ide channel so the eyes are lit up when I use the hdd. Then Im gonna cut out a top window where I'll place my radiator with 2 120mm fans.
The mobo Im currently thinking of is Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe nForce4 SLI 4DDR-DIMM 3PCI 4PCIe SATA Raid Audio GB-LAN Socket939 ATX but I'm not sure if it has 4x or 5x HTT maby I'll wait for other NF4 pci-e SLI mobos to come out... I already said cpu = winchester 3500, For storgage Im gonna buy a 7x gig raptor for os and games plus 3 300gig maxtor that runs in raid 5. I think the raptor will be watercooled and the 300gigs aircooled. I would like a 6800gt but so far I only found 6600gt for pci-e here in sweden.. maby I buy 2 of those instead (I think it will cost the same or actually be cheaper than a 6800gt).

Anyway thats the plan atm but Im sure I will change it before I'm done (well except the chassi that I already ordered).

The reason I'm gonna spend some $$$ is because I got some funding for my schoolwork (university...) but Im almost done with that and they told me they can't give me the money as salary but I could buy some stuff I need for my project for it..and hey I figure I have the writing left to do so I would need a computer ;) and it passed lol. (I got approx 1470$) and since my old epox board died (the caps popped) I already saved about 1400$ myself for a new computer and this xmas I only wished for $ so I figure Ill get another 100$ or so.

If you got any suggestions for better cpu or motherboard please let me know )

saltytheseagull said:
What about the new vx or bh-5 you may not get up to 300, but the timings make up for it don't they or am I wrong?
For the sake of simplicity and since he is forign. He is honestally limited to a flavor of TCCD. Since most RAM never makes it overseas.

I just bought the Corsair 2x512 pc32000 to run with this same proc and the MSI Neo2 Platinum. No one seems to really be jumping on this, was that a mistake?

Back