• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Environmental Ramifications of DC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

9mmCensor

Disabled
Watching TV and saw an Ad for the One Tonne Challenge and thought, "Hmmm, what kind of environmental ramifications would DC computing have?"

DC obviously uses power, which mostly comes from fossill fule. And coupled with the ammount of illness from pollution, what impact does running computers have on our lives now. :-/

Let's take a look at this...

folding to save lives...making a few greenies happy
folding to save lives of greenies...stopping to save our earth from 'catastrophic' destruction :rolleyes:
folding to make more people to save the environment (more greenies)...stopping and saving the Earth while we all die!!!!!

I go for the folding!!! YAY!

9mmCensor said:
Watching TV and saw an Ad for the One Tonne Challenge and thought, "Hmmm, what kind of environmental ramifications would DC computing have?"

DC obviously uses power, which mostly comes from fossill fule. And coupled with the ammount of illness from pollution, what impact does running computers have on our lives now. :-/
I can think of a lot of power usage I would cut back on before even beginning to consider halting Folding.

Let's see:
1. Turn off the TV.
2. Microwave my dinner instead of frying or baking.
3. Turn off power in rooms not occupied.
4. Participate in energy conservation efforts at work.
5. Fine tune overclock on folders to minimize wasted energy (using a higher voltage than necessary)
6. Ect, ect, ect...

Yes, we live right next to a hydroelectric dam...

Though, we get our energy from it, the energy goes down to northern cali, then back up to us... :aargh:

In the winter, close the blinds in small rooms, they'll stay warmer, and you won't have to have the heat on in those rooms as much.

I mean, I never have the heat on in my room!!! Teh towah of powah keeps my room plenty toasty! Eerr, 3.6GHz P4's will do that!

You CAN'T make me stop folding.

...except for a power outage... ;)

-Sam

Silliness... While there are many sources of energy waste, computesr should be way down on the list.

Real changes are the only ones which would really effect this - discounts should be given for households with lower power consumption, those funny looking lightbulbs should be used by everyone instead of normal bulbs, and exceptions to emmision regulations should not be made so people can drive SUV's down the highway back and forth from work everyday.

No kidding.

Talk about power usage...SUV's and oversized trucks are WAY up on the list. Don't touch my DC farm.

Most people could just walk anyway.

It's simply a matter of how lazy people are. We don't want to change, thus, we don't. I've changed, though, I can't help that my truck guzzles gas, circumstances take over there. I needed 4wd, and couldn't afford anything better. Though, be assured that I'll get a low emissions, high milage car when I can afford it, and live where 4wd isn't required to get up our driveway 3/4 of the year.

Computers don't use THAT much energy, and folding CERTENLY isn't "wasting" energy. A diskless, bladed farm, will suck about <150 WATTS per blade. Playing games on that computer? Doom III? Fire up that dual feed, power hungary 6800 ULTRA? Are those two 15,000 RPM HD's spinning? There's where most of your power is being spent

Leave teh poor dc'r alone. :D

-Sam

I think I will keep driving my SUV's and folding. Otherwise why would I care about finding a cure for cancer ? In a little matchbox car I would die in a collision with a squirrel before I ever had to worry about cancer.;)

I would think that most of the DC power comes from corporate and private borgs. Most of these machines are up and running anyway. I would think that farms actually are a very small percentage of DC power if you look at everything overall.

i turn off my comp at night...i think that counts for something, because this thing heats up my basement during the day, i swear its always toasty downstairs when my comp is on.
i hate suv's and big cars in general, ill never own one even if i could by 10 of them.

lol, folding on a computer that's already up and running 24/7 sucks barely any more power than one running idle...so borging in businesses and such doesn't use "that" much more power, considering the power they are using just to leave those suckers running 24/7 anyway...givin other energy wasters, dc would be way down near the bottom...plus, it's not wasting energy like a light on in a room that's not occupied...it's being used for a purpose...just my 2 cents

After reading this, I have decided to build a Folding rig that intentionally vents CFCs directly into the atmospehere just to **** these people off. heh heh

Back