• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Video Capture? Need quick replys.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ijs12fly

Registered
I am building a system for my parents. Placing order tonight. They do not play games and do not need "great" video card.

Now here's where it gets tricky. I have a need for my own system, I want to do Video Capture, convert my VHS to DVD, etc. My video card below does not have Composite IN or VIVO. It was a $140 card last May, and its more card then my parents need.

So if you were me, what would you do:
  • Give my card to my parents for todays value which is ???? and buy a new one for myself?
  • Buy a PCI card for my machine and get a low cost card for my parents?
  • Buy new card for myself, Ebay my old card. Buy new card for parents.
IF you pick A, what Card should I upgrade to? And how much is my old card worth for my parents to use it?

IF you pick B: What PCI card is good and what "low cost" card should I buy my parents.

Same for C, which cards?

For those that chose B, I found the following 3 cards for under $80. What do you think?

• $66.00 Prolink nVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Video Card, 128MB DDR, DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP, Model "VTV-5200-128AD" -RETAIL
  • $53.00 APOLLO nVIDIA GeForce FX5200 Video Card, 128MB DDR, DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP, Model "BLOODY MONSTER 3 GEFORCE FX 5200"
  • $80.00 ROSEWILL RADEON 9600 Video Card, 128MB DDR, 128-bit, DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP, Model "RW9600-128D"

Not sure if they will chose LCD or CRT so I want both choices.

Thanks, sorry to rush you, but I have to have this thing built for xmas.

Well the best option would be the third but it would also be more work. But if your current card works for you just get a video add on card. The first one isn't exactly cheating but your would be charging them for something they didn't ask for. If you decided to get your parents a new card I'm pretty sure you can find something which is less expensive that does the same thing.
Even this would do: http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-131-407&depa=1

Bump,

No one else has any suggestions on a good video capture card and maybe could offer some advice on my first post above?

i would choose option b. Buy a capture card for around $50 for yourself. That way your capture card and video card are separate, which will allow you to upgrade them freely (Not as true anymore because of PCI-Express). Then i would just try to find the cheapest card for your parents that would suit their needs.

ijs12fly said:
Bump,

No one else has any suggestions on a good video capture card and maybe could offer some advice on my first post above?
What about Pinnacle capture cards? Have you tried checking them out? I'm not sure if they have something that would suit your budget. But check them out anyway. We are using a Pinnacle capture card at work though i can't remember the model.

Back