• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hard drives CLICK, multiple tries to finally power up the system, no probs after that

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
Hard drives CLICK, multiple tries to finally power up the system, no probs after that

The same thing happens when I put in
a) another power supply.
b) brand new hard drive :

The following happens with multiple hard drives (put in separately) and at stock CPU speeds. Power Supply is 380W Antec TruePower TP380.

When the computer is OFF, and is then turned on, The drives CLICK and "nothing happens" or the system pauses briefly then continues and loads IF there are no more clicks.

Frequently the drives CLICK > I reset > CLICK > I reset > it finally goes through without any further problems until the power is turned off for a while, then when it’s turned back on the whole thing repeats.

When the drives are taken to another system, they are all fine.

My system on which I now have only 1 new 200 GB WD and before which I had two 120 GB WD:
[192] FSB x 12.5 = 2400 MHz @ 1.80 Vcore with memory frequency at 100% [192 FSB] @ 2.90 Vdimm
Epox 8RDA+ v1.1
Thermalright SLK-947U with variable speed 80x25mm Thermaltake Smart Fan 2
ATI AIW 9600XT; Antec SX-835II case ; 380W Antec TruePower TP380
Four 80x25mm Case Fans + 1 Variable speed 80x25mm Fan YS-Tech FD1281259B-2F

It is probably something to do with the mobo then. Perhaps the APM built onto the mobo. No beeps from the mobo huh?

That PSU is on the way out. Change it before it lets out the magic smoke and makes the last HD you have running disappear like a virgin on prom night and maybe a few other things as well.

Check the PSU with a meter just to be sure and I bet the 12V line is down to under 11.6 which means bad things start to happen since it will drop even further especially on power up when the PSU is totally maxed due to the demands from all your devices trying to power up at once and the inrush current from them is taking all it can from the PSU.

I have run into when sometimes you start and it boots to window and you have 1 hard drive instead of 2 or 2 hard drives and no CD-ROM. Your case is rather extreme which tells me you are on borrowed time. Go buy yourself a good PSU with a capacity in excess of 400 Watts

I would agree that it is possible more of a motherboard fault. Have you checked the PSU rails to see if it is perhaps the CPU?

The clicking may be the system booting up, not necessarily a fault with the hard disk(s). Tried as master/slave on various channels?

could be your PSU is not giving good power or the cable ends are not making proper contant with the HD - i have had bad ends on PSU cables and it is basiclaly the HD is not getting the power it needs so it is shutting on and off.

This happens on 3 different hard drives, one of which is brand new and it happens on both IDE channels as well as on PCI IDE card so

1. Not the HDs fault.

This happens when I put in a different power supply so

2. Probably not the PSU fault.

12 V is at 11.94 according to MB monbitor, I have no multi meters.

The mobo is the probable culprit. Same brand mobo 8RDA+ once fried my PSU connector.

I suppose I should switch mobos then.

c627627 said:
This happens on 3 different hard drives, one of which is brand new and it happens on both IDE channels as well as on PCI IDE card so

1. Not the HDs fault.

This happens when I put in a different power supply so

2. Probably not the PSU fault.

12 V is at 11.94 according to MB monbitor, I have no multi meters.

The mobo is the probable culprit. Same brand mobo 8RDA+ once fried my PSU connector.

I suppose I should switch mobos then.

Then you are right probably not the PSU then. That looks good.

If you have the time: Try this. Try hibernating a few times, and see if the hard drive disappears. I have the same problem you mentioned, plus my hard drive will disappear randomly after I come back from hibernation.

What would this prove?

I have a secondary system with yet a third PSU which has the same exact mobo which I'll just swap because the monitor just died on me.

If this mobo does the same thing on a different system, do you agree that instead of testing for hybernation, I should just toss it out before it damages the other parts of the system?

Last edited:
Yup, it was the power supply after all. I put in another mobo from another system only to find out I was mistaken before.

...and it was the 380W Antec TruePower TP380.
They have excellent customer service but this is the third time I'm having major problems with Antecs.

A 235 Sparkle (Fortron) is powering the underclocked system just fine now. I'd say 235W Sparkle (Fortron) is like a 300W, maybe a 350W of other PSUs which do not underrate their components like Sparkle (Fortron). I'm counting on it to get me through a week or two like it did the last time my Antec needed replacement.

Back