• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SNDS syndrome on P4E, and other stoopid questions.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

-=Mr_B=-

Is there any? what voltages, for what stepings, have we given up on manual overvolting? speeds and temps?

So far i'we been running my [email protected], but it gets quite hot, i still have a pair of tornados to mount in the case, but those are really more for the preasure then the increased airflow rating vs the original fans, the intent was to lower rpm, and get a more silent solution, while keeping up the airflow... at what temp does the D0 steping throttle, i read 80c somewhere, is this true as compared to northwood 65c? (in wich case the prescott actually is cooler then the northwood, relatively speaking) Currently running at stock, since im on vacation...

B!

I haven't heard of anyone killing their Prescott CPU's from voltage. There is a nice little proggy you can use to see when your CPU throttles, there is a link to it in the large 3.2E thread within this forum. I run mine with around 1.5v on air, idle is 44C and load is around 60-65max, and i see no throttleing, and have not had a degrade in overclock. Unless you want to keep the CPU for 5+ years, i wouldn't even worry about it. And if that's the case, i suggest you keep it at a modest overclock to begin with.

Sucka said:
I haven't heard of anyone killing their Prescott CPU's from voltage. There is a nice little proggy you can use to see when your CPU throttles, there is a link to it in the large 3.2E thread within this forum. I run mine with around 1.5v on air, idle is 44C and load is around 60-65max, and i see no throttleing, and have not had a degrade in overclock. Unless you want to keep the CPU for 5+ years, i wouldn't even worry about it. And if that's the case, i suggest you keep it at a modest overclock to begin with.

I agree. I have yet to hear of ANYONE killing their Prescott's from voltage or heat. On the 478 socket the Mobo is the thing to worry about more than the CPU.

ed.howell said:
I agree. I have yet to hear of ANYONE killing their Prescott's from voltage or heat. On the 478 socket the Mobo is the thing to worry about more than the CPU.

Very good point. Mobo/PSU are the weakpoints in a Prescott setup.

Gigabyte still claims my mobo is "up for the challenge" since it has the dual power system module... Not that i know if they are right, but sure, it might help... atleast its active cooled cpu power... And the Antec True power 550w psu is said to handle "pretty much anything" you throw at it.. So far, so good...
However, i DO expect to still be using this prescott in 5 years.. actually, i most likely will be using it in 10 years aswell, that is, if it hasent died. I still use a old Dual P120. ;- )

If it should die in 4-10 years, so be it, i'll prolly have something else to call "nostalgia" by then... Or got enough cash to upgrade... But from the sound of things, i cant really see what all the fuss about the prescott beeing a "worse" cpu is (exeptthe fact that it does less work /cykle) as it has a higher heat tolerance, and apparently dosent suffer as bad from increased voltages... it should rather be a fairly good OC'er ?

Thanks for the status update, i got the info i needed for future playing around when i get home (tomorrow that is)
B!

Um, First of, i have to admit to having posted bad info, my Pressy is a C0 not a D0, sorry, my mistake, memory failing me, must be age issues (closing in on 27 years ;- )

Motherboard is this one GA-8KNXP

anyways, when asking Gigabyte about the autovcore change thingy in the prescott, they dont have any answers, (or atleast not for me) so i havent updated past Bios version F10, since this one atleast lets me set Vcore for prescots manualy, without the software, wich needs windows to boot first... might be hard to boot windows, on default vcore when oc'ed....

When asking them about heat or power drain issues with this mobo, and the prescott, they hit me with the standard salespitch "its equiped with the DPS2 module, it can hanle any hungry cpu load you throw at it voltage ways" So far i have to say they atlest have some point, the voltage regulators on the mobo hardly gets hot to the tought (well, compared to the air comming of the SP-94 they are just a 5-7c hotter....) and on the DPS2 module the heatsink isent as hot, since its getting air both from the SP-94, and from the fan on it...(on the DPS2 module that is)

hopefully that means im good, so far atleast...

Thanks for ya info. To bad i couldent ask the right questions to start with *- )
B!

ed.howell said:
Ya I saw that thread, looks like it was bad to begin with. It died after only a week of use.

yahh, it dosnt concern me that much. out of a few thousand processors, a few of them are bound to die n e wayz, eh? ;)

Back