• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ECS EliteGroup motherboard restarts rapidly

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aharpro26

Registered
I just got my friend a ECS 865G-M v5.0
It restarts over and over when the computer seems to have been running for 5 seconds. I think it is restarting because the motherboard sound thing makes a small click every 5 seconds. I have a 3.0 Prescott on it with a stock heatsink. I thought it was the RAM (2x512mb Patriot pc3200), but i tried one stick of Corsair Value Select RAM (256mb) and it did the same thing. I am using the Antec Aria 300w power supply. I unplugged everything that could have been a problem and i was left with just running the motherboard, cpu, and RAM. It still does this. Do i have a hardware conflict?

It might just be a bad board. I have had several problems with those ECS motherboards. I know fry's gives them away alot with a CPU combo, but they don't seem to be of the best quality. Maybe try returning the board for a new one.

ECS boards are trash. We bought a rash of them a couple years ago. Roughly 50% of them are sitting dead in a box right next to me.

That said...

Despite my desire to just blame the board for this and be done with it...it might be a PSU problem.

I just posted a similiar comment about ECS. I have two of them pt800ce-a. I got them on the frys deal but hey the price was cheaper than I could get just the processor for. I have one that won't boot at all and one does the reboot thing and if you start any game it gives you a general protection fault. I have tried everything because I built the system for a friend. I used an abit max 2 on mine thats how I ended up having two of the ecs boards.

I swapped out video cards and even out the whole system in my case to check the power supply. Then I took the processor out of the ecs and into my max 2 to check it and it worked fine. I think the boards are just not very good.

LIke I mentioned the first one reboots and gives errors.
The 2nd one I tried rebooted once and would not even turn back on.

Back