• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooling suggestions.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Krillen

Registered
As I have OC'ed my first CPU with the help of you guys, I am now addicted. I want more speed :) . I have a Athlon 64-bit 3200+ Winchester core, with 1GB Corsair RAM. With stock cooling in my system I have it OC'ed from 2.2ghz to 2.31 with no problems . (well , sometimes it would overheat when I had it at 2.33ghz under load, I took the one side off and put it down to 2.31 and no problems since then). I have stock cooling on my case and I was wondering what kind of extra cooling I should get so I can OC my CPU to at last 2.39ghz.

A picture of the back of my case , showing you the fan : http://images10.newegg.com/productimage/11-129-150-03.JPG

Would I need to get a new back case fan as well as cpu fan? I don't really care about noise that much. What matters to me is performance.

Thanks in advance.

CandymanCan said:
IMG_1698.jpg

^^ XP90

Just a CPU fan? No case fan? I also have a side slot for a case fan and a front slot. nothing there? Just a CPU fan upgrade? (just trying to make sure :) )

If noise isn't you worry :D, get a turbojet Tornado i.e the Vantec Tornado. Available in various sizes. (CPU Fan). Your rear looks like a 120mm. I'd get a delta. Check out 1coolpc.com or sidewinder.com.

Tornados:-
http://www.newegg.com/app/SearchProductResult.asp?Submit=Go&DEPA=0

Take the fan grills off for best performance. I'd also mod the case to get a case fan exhausting out of the top.

PS*You should ask this in the Cooling section. I'm sure a mod will move it there.

Of course its always desirable to have case fans. From your pic, it looks like you have 120mm fan slot at the back. Slap one there by all means, and all the other fan slots you have. The more the merrier.

No , I already have a fan in the back. I was wondering if there are better ones then stock. I was also wondering if I should just add the extra fan to my CPU or should I also replace my case fan. (I also have 2 empty spots where I can put 2 more fans.)

You have got to put at least one fan in the back (sucking hot air out) and one fan in the front (pushing cool air in), this is more important then to have a good fan on the CPU. What good does a good heatsink/fan do if it's cycling hot air around in the case? If you want to overclock, you have to have good air flow within your case.

You have got to put at least one fan in the back (sucking hot air out) and one fan in the front (pushing cool air in), this is more important then to have a good fan on the CPU. What good does a good heatsink/fan do if it's cycling hot air around in the case? If you want to overclock, you have to have good air flow within your case.

spazzmattah couldn’t be more right

if u have a 3200+ winchester stock speed isnt 2.2ghz its 2.0ghz id go with an XP-120 and some nice 120mm fan that pushes out 100CFM+

I'm sorry, it's a NewCastle core, for some reason I was thinkin otherwise. And yes it was stock at 2.2ghz. Anyway I have plenty of airflow because the open side of my case is off :p (will be fixed when I get my fans!) Thanks for the suggestions.

Back