• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory and Performance of New Dualie

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dicecca112

Alright i'm building the dual that is outlined in my signature. Would I get better performance with 1 gig of pc4000 or pc3700, or two gigs of pc3200?

dicecca112 said:
Alright i'm building the dual that is outlined in my signature. Would I get better performance with 1 gig of pc4000 or pc3700, or two gigs of pc3200?

depends on what you're doing...

2gbs of ram might be beneficial if you are running a LOT of programs at once...or a program that requires a lot of RAM, like photoshop could, with a lot of images open...

pcxxxx any speed is not as important on a duallie as good timings...because you probably won't get past 220mhz fsb...and definitely not past 233mhz fsb...

so i suggest -tccd samsung chip ram...it does 2,2,2,6 in dual channel on this board up to 210 mhz or so with 2.76v (max for ram voltage on the ncch-dl)....it's pc3200 and several companies use these chips...

certain PQI and Patriot RAM, as well as Mushkin (that i have)...

I do lots of video editing and play the newest games out with my Dual Xeon in my sig.
1gig of ram was a huge improvement over 512meg, but 2 gig for me has been a waste of money. With both monitors on folding on two threads and doing any two or three things, I have not yet been able to use over 1.1gig of my ram.
I think 1 gig of fast ram is Ideal so far.

I agree with 1 gig unless you are really using heavy memory dependant apps at one time..Windows is funny with how it manages memory and even though some boards can have up to 16 gigs of ram it is unlikely XP Pro or 2000 pro would have any clue wht to do with it all..........lmao....

And honestly I would think to get the use out of 2 or more gigs you would need a better more suted operating system dedicated to apps which require massive amounts of ram...Thats just my 2 cents and after this X mas about all i have left ..

H2 said:
I do lots of video editing and play the newest games out with my Dual Xeon in my sig.
1gig of ram was a huge improvement over 512meg, but 2 gig for me has been a waste of money. With both monitors on folding on two threads and doing any two or three things, I have not yet been able to use over 1.1gig of my ram.
I think 1 gig of fast ram is Ideal so far.

when i had 2gigs on a dual 2.4ghz amdxp system i was able to use up to 1.3-1.4gigs when using photoshop with lots of 4mb files open and being edited...

i'm sticking with 1gb for my current dual xeon though, particularly because PAT is enabled when using two sticks, but not 4 sticks of RAM on this 875 based board...

and PAT increases performance another 5% or so

Last edited:
Back