• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

K8N NEO2 Platinum DOA?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kevinfelker42

Hi all,

This is my third system built.

Athlon 64 3000+ Winchester core (90nm socket 939)
Corsair Value Select Ram 2x512mb
Radeon 9700 Pro AGP 8x (for now)
2xWD Raptor 76.8 SATA
ThermalTake Pure Power Xaser 480W
Lian-Li V1000B Case

I only placed the CPU, Zalman Cooler, RAM, Power Supply, Power Supply Front Button Cable (so I could actually hit the front button to turn it on) and RAdeon 9700 pro, and all went fine.

When I powered on, only the fans came on, I also saw one of the ports on the back do a quick flash (think it was the optical input).

So that's where I stand, fans only.

I kept myself grounded by keeping me hand on the case (it's aluminum) whenever handling the electronics.

I was going to try flashing the BIOS, but it won't even boot off a floppy. So that's out of the question.

One thing that struck me out of curiosity:

The processor backplate was already stuck on, when it clearly shows you how to do it in the book as if it wasn't supposed to be on by default.

I literally had to pry it off (without too much effort) with a screw driver, because the MSI backplate wasn't compatible with the Zalman Heat Sink.

Do you think new egg could have sent me an RMA? Everything looked new in it, but the fact that the backplate was stuck on makes me wonder!?

If anyone can address either issue here, I would appreciate it.

Last edited:
On the second issue (Did Newegg send me a used MB) I would simply like to know "Did your motherboard come with the backplate already stuck (it's literally a sticker) on?"

Again, Thanks.

kevinfelker42 said:
On the second issue (Did Newegg send me a used MB) I would simply like to know "Did your motherboard come with the backplate already stuck (it's literally a sticker) on?"

Again, Thanks.
What do you mean by "pried it off with a screwdriver"? The backplate had double sided tape that needs to be heated with a hair dryer to be removed.

Most likely either static (unless you have a guard its still static), or your screwdriver did the board in by scratching a trace.

Either way that board is toast :(

Do you have an internal speaker? Perhaps you are trying to boot dual-channel with an old BIOS. If so try booting with 1 stick of RAM and see it that works.

Back