• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which mosfets and clock gen are you supposed to sink?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shootingblanks

Have an Asus P4C800 E Deluxe motherboard and ordered a 3.2E EO stepping processor. Am considering on purchasing OCZ Copper BGA Ramsink, Model "H-OCZBGACRS8-RTL" or Microcool Chipsink MOSFET Passive Heatsink to sink the mosfets. Also plan on sinking the clock gen chip. I purchased the Microcool Chipsink Southbridge Passive Heatsink to cool the Southbridge. Will be running watercooling. I plan on overhauling my motherboard to set up the tdx block and while I have it apart I will be doing the droop mod. Which mosfets should I sink, and which chip is the clock gen to sink? Also what other preps should I consider doing for this motherboard to accomodate the prescott?

Attachments

• p4c800-e_d_l.jpg
    p4c800-e_d_l.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 262
Please post a pic of where you placed the sinks on the mosfets and clock gen. If a pic is not available, could you circle the appropriate mosfets and clock gen with the picture provided on this post.

where is the clock gen located and is it necessary to sink? I know how to do the droop mod, just wondering about mosfets and clock gen:)

The long chip that is circled on the left is the clock generator or PLL chip. The other things circled are power mosfets.

I have the poorman's version of your board (the P4P800) and while the board is config'd a little differently, I sinked the chips mentioned above, plus the mosfet right next to the AGP slot. That mosfet was the hottest chip on the board without any cooling.

Thanks for your input. waiting on the waterpump, my new 3.2E EO stepping processor and a few other odds and ends. Wife called me today at work to tell me my package got delivered from danger den:) Will overhaul system probably next weekend since I have a long weekend.

I would avoid the PLL chip, it does'nt carry any current nor generate that much heat. Only the four circled are needed for the CPU. Depending on the memory overclocking it may be necessary to sink the 2 fets at the Dimm sockets. To find out leave the machine running prime for a few hours and carefully touch the tops of the fets. If you have to withdraw that digit from the pain then sink it, warm ones are better left alone. I have four sticks of OCZ at 2.8V and I did not sink the dimm fets. The next thing you will want to do if you bump the FSB about 220 is to either add active cooling to that ASUS NB sink or replace it with a Thermalright NB-1C or CoolerMaster (Jeez that thing is huge) Blue Ice NB cooler. :D I'll get one soon :D :santa:

I did all these wasn't sure if they're all necc but I got a+150 mhz o/c,
Cpu and board temp dropped by 10c (I did remount+ lap cpu hs)
edit:Actually I skipped a couple that I did near the printer conn
I used a surface probe to find hot spots.

p4c800-e_d_lmine.jpg

Last edited:
Back