• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WD Raptor 74GB (10,000 RPM) - Transfer Rate Slow?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sammy5gs

Hey Guys...

While I was running some diagnostics in Sandra, I decided to see how my WD Raptor was working. Once the benchmark completed, I saw 57MB/s transfer rate? Now, I know SATAs can handle up to 150MB/s, so is there any valid reason why my Raptor is going this slow?

This drive is not hooked up in a RAID array. It is a stand-alone drive hooked straight into a SATA port on the mobo. I also have a Samsung 80GB SATA drive hooked up to another SATA port on the mobo, but I haven't tested that rate yet.

Any thoughts?

Over at XS there was a thread quite a while back where there was a bunch of raptor benchmarks... It can be found right here.

Granted, most of the benchmarks are on raid 0 arrays, so this doesnt necessarily apply to your current situation. If you were really concerned that you may not be getting the performance you think you should then check out the benchmarking software that is used in the thread i linked and see how it compairs. Also take a look at what DMA mode your drive is running within windows device mananager. Perhaps you have an odd issue there...

Sata 150 does not transfer at a solid 150mbps. on average it is about the speed you got as a sustained transfer rate. 150mbps is the max burst of data that it can handle. Same deal with ide. IDE 133 does not transfer at a sustained rate of 133mbps.. its more like 20-40+ with bursts of up to 133mbps.

57mb/sec is about right, my 7200 rpm drive only get about 30+ and the 4200 is under 30mb/sec, so yeah, it should be the in the 60mb + range, but i think 57 is decent.

my raptor 36gb goes around 52-56mb/s. so i guess it is just right.... probably if it had more free space it would go a little faster.

try testing with HDTach, IMHO a more accurate tool.

oswald said:
my raptor 36gb goes around 52-56mb/s. so i guess it is just right.... probably if it had more free space it would go a little faster.

try testing with HDTach, IMHO a more accurate tool.

My WD160G IDE achieved 48MB/s in Sandra, for 50bucks:)

Back