• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Socket 478 cooling on the cheap

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mybrainisawaffl

I have a *sigh* emachines. Now, of course, I cannot OC this, but I have a new
case, motherboard, ram, etc in the mail. The only thing I'm keeping from the emachines is the 2.5 celeron processor, which I definately plan to OC. Cooling the case, I'll have 3-4 80mm fans.

My problem is I need something to cool the celeron. I'm guessing the stock emachines heatsink/fan setup would be woefully inadecuate for any form of OC, so I've been looking for a cheap($20-30~)heatsink/fan to get the job done. Right now, I've been looking at Thermaltake, and their 7+ for 30 something. Got any suggestions?

While an XP90 is certainly a good heatsink, it somewhat violates his cost neighborhood.

Here is the cheap way out. I have one of these on my 2.0GHz Celeron clocked at 3.2GHz (1.7V) on an AI7 in my secondary PC. I have turned the fan voltage down to 8.7V via the Abit bios controls, and the fan is silent (in a silent machine) at that voltage. The Abit's reported temps are less than 50C under full load. The 70mm fan has a bit of a whine to it WFO, but does not need to run WFO to cool a celeron with even an agressive OC. At WFO the cooling power is in league with more expensive heatsinks. The base is nickel plated copper with fine fins and a lot of surface area.

All of $6.95:
yhst-4849487558717_1813_3545233

http://www.coolergarage.com/copperstreamii.html

Back