• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fan speed Controller w/ heat sensors

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Feuer Frei

Hi, i just got a fan speed controller from xoxide.com and it also came with thermal sensors, one specified for the cpu,psu,case,hd and do the thermal sensors have to be for those parts only? i was hoping i cud attach one 2 my 6600 gt agp. :attn:

And there would i attach the cpu thermal sensor? would i put it inbetween the cpu and cpucooler, where i put my thermal past? or where is a better place i should put it, so i can get the most accurate readings(my mobo is SOOO of on the temps, so i can really find out wat they are).

-Feuer Frei , im a n00b so sry 4 any 'Stupid questions' or related things ;)

Definitely not a stupid question, Frei (nice nick BTW, Rammstein rocks if that's where you got the nick).

I can't help you w/ where to place the sensor to get the best readings (I'm actually waiting for my temp sensor/baybus to arrive) but yes, you can probably safely put the probes elsewhere besides what is labeled. Just don't get confused when viewing the temps. Instead of say a case temp, you're actually viewing the VGA's mem temp. ;)

Hey thanks, and yes i got my name from Rammstein (the band ownz all lol)

but i have one more question? if i put my cpu thermal sensor in the thermal past between the cpu and heatsink would that disrupt the heat transfer and then give me worst cooling?

- Feuer Frei

Feuer Frei said:
Hey thanks, and yes i got my name from Rammstein (the band ownz all lol)

but i have one more question? if i put my cpu thermal sensor in the thermal past between the cpu and heatsink would that disrupt the heat transfer and then give me worst cooling?

- Feuer Frei
Don't put the sensor between the CPU and HSF!!

The best you can do is to put the sensor as close as possible to the side of the IHS, but the temp. reading will still be off by a fair amount, well you could remove the IHS and put the sensor to the side of the core, that will get you better readings but there's a risk of killing your CPU when you try to remove the IHS.

I'm still waiting on my sensor/baybus to arrive. Got a question too. Could you get the sensor underneith the HSF, and touch the SIDE of the heatspreader on the CPU? Would that give a fairly accurate reading?

I know people that usually put it on the sides, or sometimes on the heatsink edge. Most heatsink have extras on them, so you can stick them on the edges.

I think I'm going to install mine so it touches the edge, and see the temp difference between what the baybus sensor reads and what ASUS Probe util reads, then guage the difference.

Problem for me is, I've got an XP-120 w/ a 190CFM delta blowing tons of air around, I'm wondering if the air is going to "swish" by the sensor and cool it down, giving me wrong temps. I don't think I'm ready to cut a groove into my CPU just yet, otherwise I would.

Back