• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problems !!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thorn2k

k8nsnxp-939 problems !!

I recently bought a K8NSNXP-939 mobo and a 64 bit 3000 Processor. I also have 1 x Danelec 512Mb 400Mhz ram, 200Gb Maxtor SATA drive, MSI 8x DVD RW, GeForce4 4800SE GFX card (end of my budget ;-0)
Heres the list of problems:
1) Memory only registered as 256Mb in Bios and Windows XP Pro SP1 :temper:
(BIOS upgrade to F6 sorted this out)
2) Installing NFORCE drivers from supplied disk caused it to hang after the first restart. Hangs after the POST. restart with LKG (Last Known Good) and install rest of drivers no problem.
3) Once the Marvell network card is installed and PC is restarted it takes between 3-7 minutes to load the networking. Disabled the Marvell connection and it loads the nforce connection immediately ! :argue:
4) Installed Windows updates etc.. and NIS2004. Updated Nforce drivers from Gigabyte.
5) When PC is rebooted it hangs when loading the Desktop for no reason Mouse and everything freezes. :(
6) Machine switches off for no reaon (Nothing in event logs) :mad:
7) Cannot see the other PC on my Network (xover cable between the two) yet internet sharing works fine.
8) Performace is comparable to my old PC which is an AMD1800 with 1Gb ram and a 80Gb HDD. :eh?:

There is no overclocking setup, the covers are not on the case and its well ventilated. CPU temp in Bios is 49deg.

Can anyone help or offer a suggestion. I am not impressed with this system. I did expect a much higher performance and less hassle. Also the DPS fan is not the quietest. I have an ADSL USB modem installed which it sometimes does not initialise after a restart !!!! :cry:

Last edited:
thorn2k said:
5) When PC is rebooted it hangs when loading the Desktop for no reason Mouse and everything freezes. :(
6) Machine switches off for no reaon (Nothing in event logs) :mad:

The only thing I can think of is that maybe the heatsink isn't seated properly.

RJARRRPCGP said:
The only thing I can think of is that maybe the heatsink isn't seated properly.

The Heatsink is mounted correctly and I used AS5 Silver thermal paste on it. The core temp is 40 deg at idle and maxes to 48 at load. I use a 250mm cooling fan currently removing 30cum/min of air out of the case.

I had a very similar problem and bios update didnt fix it.
To my suprise when i ran two little programs from www.grc.com sheilds-up website all but one problem remains, cold boot still not starting first go.
Oh yeah the programs are Dcombobulater and Unplug n pray, all they do is disable two service which shouldnt be needed.
Plus use the Nforce 5.10 drivers but dont install onchip firewall drivers unless you really need it.
I hope this helps your problem, but these gigabyte boards dont seem to be the most reliable.
Rob

Back