• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4B533 Something wrong Help needed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

darthbader

Registered
I have a P4B533 Asus Motherboard
2.0 GHZ Celeron Processor 400 Mhz FSB
Gigabyte 128MB Nvidia G-Force 4 Video Card AGP.
Rosewill PC 2700 Ram
L&C LC-B450 E Power supply 450 watt.

After I set it all up, I turned it on and it went right into the Bios. I was thinking great another success but I thought too soon. After about 30 seconds worth of bios setup (I didnt really make any changes yet but I was scrolling through to see if everything was configured the way I wanted.) I got distracted for a moment and I had to reach under my desk to get to my router, while doing so I had to move the machine about 6 inches to get to my router. after I moved it and took care of my router issue (15 secods or so) I looked back up at my screen and my bios screen was gone. The screen was black as if the computer was turned off but it was still on and running.

I then shut the system down and checked all my connections. Still nothing. I then thought maybe I could put in a different video card. Still nothing. Then I tried a PCI video card and still no luck.

I am building this computer for my son for christmas so I need to get fast results. Any help or suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

Also as a side note. The case I bought from new egg (A-Top Technology) X-Blade does not have a built in speaker so therefore I cannot listen for a Post beep so I am limited as to what I can diagnose about the bios.

Thanks

Darthbader.
" I am your Father Luke"

Got to go back to basics, take everything out but the video, cpu, one stick of ram, and see if it'll boot up to the bios screen. I think you should recheck the mounting of the board also to make sure it's not grounding out and all cables are still hooked up. Also reseat your ram to ensure it just isn't quite in.

I went back and disconnected everything. Reseated my ram, and re seated my video card. Tried it again and nothing. I have power but no video. How can you tell if the mother board is grounding out?

Take the motherboard out of the case and try it outside of the case, actualy you can even disconnect the case on/off switch and just short out the pwr on pins temporarily to see if it'll power up. Are you getting the cpu fan to spin up? Does this model have the AGP version led and is it doing anything? Do you have the Asus drivers disk?

CPU fan powers up. All fans come on. The Hard Drive powers up. Dvd Rom powers up. Green mobo power light comes on. This is the AGP version with the Red Led Light that comes on if there is a Problem with the AGP card. How do I short out the power on the pins for the on off switch?

Everything seems to power up.

Disconnect the case switch, then just use a small metal object (jumper works good) and just touch the two pins marked "pwr" on the motherboard. If everything else is comming on though this is probably not your problem. Did you try resetting your cmos? If not then do that and make sure you get the jumper back on the right pins, then try to boot up again. Do you have your system speakers hooked up? If so and you have the voice posting you should hear the report there if it's getting to the bios.

i found the instructions but I tried it and no dice. any other suggestions?

Last one I can think of is to place the drivers cd in the cdplayer, then restart the computer. Usualy Asus's later models have a bios rescue program on the cd that will run straight from the cd and correct the bios. Need to know I've never done this myself but have read some post's on it. Just checking to make sure, you do have your keyboard and mouse hooked up don't you? If your bios is set to halt on errors it'l stop everyhting if the keyboard or mouse are'nt working or recognized.

I tried that too but no luck.
I am thinking that the problem is the ram. Ram will prevent you from geting a post. I am currently using Rosewill PC 2700. I read the specs on the Asus website and it says that the P4B533 supports PC 2100 memory. However I have used this board in one of my other machines and it accepted PC2700 memory quite well but I was using it with a P4 2.4 Ghz Processor with a 533 FSB. In this case I am using the same memory with a Celeron 2.0 Ghz with a 400 FSB. I think that could be the problem.

This is the same board I used previously so I know that the board works and I used the processor in another system in my house so I know that works too. Let me know what you think?

You should be able to use PC2700 ram, that said if you have another stick of ram handy you could try it. Would'nt think it was that since it did fire up once but have had wierder things happen. Do you have any boards in the pci slots?
On page 2-21 in the manual it tells you how to set your mobo up to use an external speaker for your vocal post report, this might gives us a hint as to how far into the post it's getting.

I have nothing installed to the PCI slots. I tried plugging in an old PCI video card to see if it would do anything but no luck. I will check out the speaker thing and see if i can get that to work. I wish I had some PC2100 memory to try but I dont. I hate to order some without knowing if it will make a difference.

Here is the latest. I cant get the system to post. So I am left with a tough decision. Do I just buy a new Mother board and a new processor instead of ram? I could upgrade both and use the memory that I know for sure is good which will cost me more but eliminate the problem without a doubt?

That being said what board should I purchase and with what processor. I am not interested in overclocking of this machine because it is for my kid and he is only 8 years old but I want to be able to upgrade as much as possible in future.

All suggestions welcome

Back