• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SETI BOINC Project Transition updates

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SunRedRX7

Heres a thread I just read on the SETI BOINC forums, looks like were getting closer to the shutdown of Classic.

http://setiweb.ssl.berkeley.edu/forum_thread.php?id=7448#56245

Allow me to have some fun stoking the fire with some pre-announcement info:

1. I started up all three splitters just to make sure they were working nicely in tandem. One splitter was plenty to handle our current demand. We cannot "build up" workunits as we currently only store about 500,000 on disk at any given time (when we get about this amount, the splitters go to sleep). But now I have at least proven that when demand increases, we'll be able to keep up.

2. New equipment has been acquired (and actually arrived earlier than expected). Much setup/testing needs to happen before we make any wild claims. The good news is that this stuff is in our lab *now* (when we expected it to arrive in early January). I don't celebrate Christmas, nor travel during this time of year, so I (and other team members) will be working on and off over the next two weeks trying to bring all the new servers on line.

Feel free to use this information to adjust your predictions about when we are going to shut down classic SETI@home.

- Matt

Back