• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Installing a window

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PerlAddict

I read the window sticky-thread, which was good, but I'm still confused about one thing ....

Do you just glue the window to the inside of the case behind the whole and putting the molding around the hole's edges, or do you actually cut the window to fit in the whole?

The molding I have is pretty thick and actually has a fairly deep groove around the inside edge, with the outside edge having a lip that looks like it would be the part that sits flush again the case.

Maybe I'm looking at it backwards, though, and the groove is actually for the case to slip into.

Anywho, just wanted to be dead-certain before I started liquid-nailing anything down. Thanks. :)

H moulding locks the window cutout into the hole that's cut.
C moulding is used to cover the cut edge of the side panel, and the window itself would be aattached to the inside face of the side panel.

Thanks for that info. How can you tell which molding is which? This is for the computer I bought from bafbrian here on the forums for my little bro ... he already had the hole cut out and the molding, but I wanted to finish the window before I gave it to them. Would it help if I posted a picture of the stuff he gave me?

an H molding has cuts on both sides of the rubber. one side goes into the hole and the other holds the glass in place.
a C molding only has one cut and that goes on the hole.

This is exactly the molding shape that I have, which I'm assuming is "H"

http://www.frozencpu.com/mol-02.html

Does this mean I need to cut my lexan into a circle to fit inside the molding instead of just using liquid nails to adhere a square of it to the back of the panel?

And if I have to put it inside the molding, how do I go about adhering the molding to the case, and the glass to the molding?

I know I have to be making this harder than it should be ... I think I'm just having a brain-fried week.

Love to get this thing installed tonight, if anyone can offer help ... bought a tool to score it with ... just need to know what to do to install it, exactly, since the molding didn't come with any instructions or anything.

That's locking H moulding. You need to cut the clear plastic sheet slightly smaller than the cut made in the side panel of the case. The moulding is made to hold the window so that it's locked into the hole, not adhered to the inside of the side panel.

mol-02_2.jpg

On the left side of the image is the part of the moulding that holds onto the window, the right side holds onto the side panel. The section in the middle folds into the hole to lock the moulding in place.

moulding is over rated, sucks, and looks ugly.

just cut the hole, sand down the edges really smooth, and get a piece of lexan that covers the hole and them some, and glue it down with some epoxy.

moulding lets the window pop out, its a ***** to install and is ugly!!!

very oldschool too

I hate moulding too, but it's what he has to work with.
If you have the equipment to clean up your cut edges then do the window without moulding.

I always kinda liked the way molding looked, but I may just go ahead and see how the "lexan behind the hole" looks and then decide if I want to use that molding or not.

I've got a dremel with some grinding and sanding attachments, so I think that should suffice for cleaning it (though it's already pretty smooth ... just need to paint the interior area of the cut).

Thanks guys. =)

Back