• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building a server.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PLOBBY

Well i wanted to make a gaming server here. Lets say i have a limit of un $2,000. Im not positive what i should get. So id like to here some advice on somethings. Like if i should get some dualies or something...I dont know.

Any of the newer processors will work fine. Get a good board though and dual channel ram. Get as much ram as you can afford. 1 gig should be fine, but you might want 2 gigs just incase. Fast hard drives. Maybe 2 raptors in raid 0. Not really much to it other than a good pc. Graphics won't matter because its only serving, not actually crunching any graphics. Oh, and you might want to grab a gigabit NIC instead of using the onboard.

Thanks. What kind of cpu(s) do you think i should go for? I was also thinking the same about ram. I was think 2-4 gigs. Probably just 3 at most though.

Depends how much you really want to spend. You've got a limit of $2k but do you actually want to to spend $2k?

Well if i have to i will. Not particulary though. Why do you ask? This server would be for rent too.

As Captian Slug said you do not need a fast server. You could probally even just get a Athlon XP or something.

Alright, Im just not sure what kind of ram i should get for it. I know how much but not what kind.

I'm going to be the slow person, as I haven't done much networking, and ask the purpose of having a game server? This isn't an attempt at calling your idea of building one dumb in any way, I'm just honestly curious what benefits can be derived from having one.

He said "This server would be for rent too.". And there are alot of people (clans in particular) that will rent servers to use as official clan servers and you could actually make a bit of money from it.

Good answer, assuming one knows what the server is actually used to do. Dumb it down even more for me... why might a clan want to have a server? (rent or own)....

But how does the server assist them in doing this? That is what I'm not understanding... do they -need- one to form a clan? Do clans log into it? Are there ones pre-setup for clans to log into?

Clans like to have a home server that they own so they can use it for practices and scrims or just playing together, by renting the server they have administrator powers over it and can password protect it or whatever so that only clan members can get into it when they need to practice or scrim. I don't guess they HAVE to have a server to form a clan, it just makes it a lot easier.

@PLOBBY: are you going to be running this from your home internet connection, if so what kind of connection do you have?

I think Leviathan asks a very valid question if this server is for rent what kind of connection will it be run on?. Although gaming clans often rent servers I would believe that a server on laggy connection with not enough bandwidth would very quicky find itself abandoned..
The subject of the server 'making money' being mentioned also requires more thought imho.. A great deal of game servers disappear for the reason that they often do not !!!!. Often many sucessfull game servers, websites, forums of all discriptions are financially supported by the owners pocket... The making money part just may not happen !

What game?
How many players?
Dedicated or not? (ie running a webhosting on top of the game, TS server.)

Most important aspect for a game server is the connection. A wicked fast box doesn't mean crap without a fat pipe to back it up.

Depending on the server load (game and # of players) I would go for a ~3Ghz P4 or more or a dual xeon (2.4s or more), and a gig or two of ram.

Try to find a cheap ScSI drive, as reliabilty is good.

Alright, Ill try to answer everything.

The only way id actually be doing this is if i get a t1 connection. ANd since t1 cant suppost a ton of people itll be i dont know, ill have to expiriment, but was thing in the area of about 20 people. And yes it will be from home.

O yeah, and another thing i wanted to know, what kind of ram should i get? And what company and stuff?

I don't think it would have to be the fastest, especially if you have a lot of it. I would say just some PC3200 or PC3500, probably made by a good company with a good warranty. I would also try to get it with faster timings. I'm not the greatest with RAM, but I think that would be Corsair, Crucial, Mushkin, Kingston, OCZ, or PQI. I think all of it is good and will work for a server, it's basically personal preference. Someone else might be able to better answer with company or speed. What game(s) are you planning on hosting with this?

Back