• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

lost with 9800pro probs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Monaco5

Registered
Hey, I have a 9800pro 128mb, and i installed a Silencer rev 3 on it, because my system was crashing while playing games that would work it a lot. The silencer fixed it at first, but now im crashing again and the windows thing tells me its a device driver so i updated all those and everything, and it would also tell me it was my ram...so i had geek squad test it, i tested it with the windows thing and it passed. So im thinkin my 9800pro died on me. I was runnin omega drivers for a while then switched back to ATi ones. Im thinkin it did because it only crashes while playing games, or watchin DVD's on my comp. I just dont want to replace it if it didnt actaully die cuz Im low on cash.

by 'crash' do you mean it freezes or suddenly shuts down/reboots? also full specs on your box would help us figure out the problem. get temperature readings if you can too.

It shows a blue screen (sometimes with stuff on it) for like a split second then reboots.

Albatron KX18D ProII
512x2 Corsair XMS PC3200 DDR
AMD Athlon XP 3200+
Thermaltake Smart&silent Volcano9
5 80mm thermaltake case fans
Samsung 80GB Sata HD 7200rpm
ATi Radeon 9800pro 128mb
VGA Silencer Rev3
XP Pro w/ SP2
Antec 400watt PSU

that could very well be your drivers. before you reinstall the drivers though, try running a cpu intensive program that doesn't use the gpu very much, such as a cpu benchmarking program or a password cracker. if it shuts down again, reseat the processor. if not, reinstall the drivers.

alright, but by reseating it do you mean takeing the heatsink off and takeing the cpu out and putting it back in etc? (sry im a comp nub). And can you gimme a link to a cpu benchmarking program?

yes, that's what i mean by reseating. there might be a bit of dust so spray it down with compressed air or wipe it off with a non static cloth before putting it back in. download motherboard monitor 5 to monitor your temperature ( http://mbm.livewiredev.com/ ) and then run prime. then post the idle temperature and load temperature (if the machine doesn't crash during full load).

Well i ran the benchmark and it did it fine. Then i did a torture test for a min and it didnt do anything. How long should I do them for? And my CPU Socket temp from MBM5 said 33 idle 34load

Well it didnt crash during load, the socket temps were 33C idle and 36Cload, and the CPU diode temps were 43C idle and 50C load.

but prime said this:
FATAL ERROR: Rounding was .4999084473, expected less than .4
hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file.
Torture test ran 2minutes - 1errors, 0 warnings

Last edited:
looks to me like your cpu's fine. try reinstalling the drivers for your video card, then try your game again. let us know if that helps any.

do you have norton systemworks? if you do run their benchmark. if it doesn't crash on that then you know it's the game. try running a different game to see if that crashes as well. check that the fan for the video card cooler is spinning as well

I dont have norton systemworks. But it happens in CS:S, CS 1.6, BFV, HL2 and every other game i throw at it.

Monaco5 said:
Well i ran the benchmark and it did it fine. Then i did a torture test for a min and it didnt do anything. How long should I do them for? And my CPU Socket temp from MBM5 said 33 idle 34load

Well it didnt crash during load, the socket temps were 33C idle and 36Cload, and the CPU diode temps were 43C idle and 50C load.

but prime said this:
FATAL ERROR: Rounding was .4999084473, expected less than .4
hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file.
Torture test ran 2minutes - 1errors, 0 warnings

rebelwarlock said:
looks to me like your cpu's fine. try reinstalling the drivers for your video card, then try your game again. let us know if that helps any.
:confused: :temper:

....Umm dude. Cpu = NOT fine.

Monaco5 it looks to me, juding by the results of your P95 run, that your 9800PRO is in fact fine. It now either a Motherboard, powesupply, or RAM issue.

When you run Prime 95's torture test it runs the PC thru complex calculations with the proper anwser in mind. If your Computer fails at any point within say 24hrs for stock and 2hrs for overclocked the PC is unstable and something is broken / messed up

If you know how, go into your BIOS and read off your powersupply readings.

Second if that checks out try " memtest86 " to see if your RAM is shot

<subscribing>

-Sen

Well I have tested my ram numerous times so i dont think that is it. I replaced the PSU already. But i cant be the processor? Just the mobo? And where can I get memtest86?

Monaco5 said:
Well I have tested my ram numerous times so i dont think that is it. I replaced the PSU already. But i cant be the processor? Just the mobo? And where can I get memtest86?
Tested with what? What PSU are you using now?

try reseating your processor if you haven't already, i had a shutdown problem before and after i reseated i was fine.

i ran memtest89 and it passed with no errors. Im useing an Antec True420watt PSU. I bought it to replace the 330watt one that came with my case.

Back