• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Shim vs No-Shim results

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

boostdfd3s

Disabled
hey every1,
I just bought a SI-97 with a 80mm tornado, and i decided to do a shim vs no shim comparison while priming. These tests were at 1.6vcore, small fft prime, and 220x10.5.

With shim during prime-41C
without shim during prime-37C :cool:

Took my temps from MBM5
-Zach

I believe they included the shim with that heatsink because of the way it attaches for extra protection... im guessing it is capable of wobbling with some force... thermalright usually does stuff for a reason.. how loose is it?

Loose enough that i can wobble it back and forth with some force but its stable enough for my likings...HOWEVER the shim doesnt really help at all, because the base of the SI-97 is so small that it never solidly contacts the shim anyway. So it basically just retains heat with no true protection. Oh well, it makes a big difference here when it comes to temps so leave it off! :cool:

Back