• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Heatsink recommendation

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hippo101

Registered
Hello !

Im looking for a heatsink for my Barton 2500+ CPU...

The problem is that my mobo (Gigabyte 7VT600 1394) is a little restrictive.

A Vantec Aeroflow wont fit at all (74.5mm x 74.5mm)
A Thermaltake Silent Boost is on the very very limit (82mm x 70mm). I read that some people succesfulyl installed it, but others couldnt.

The mobo doesnt have mouting holes.
Click here for a picture 7VT600 Socket

I want to oc my 2500+ to a 3200+ and I want also to keep my pc relatively quiet.... and I dont really care about the price

The ALX800 should probably fit... if you can find one. a TR2TT-M2 should fit Its not much wider or longer than the socket but its not exactly the best heatsink out there for overclocking. This is the closest thing to an ALX/SLK-800 I've seen.

The best option is probably This Dynatron or this Dynatron heatsink (only difference between the two is the fan) along with a 60-80mm fan adapter & a good fan like this (you can get 10 of these for $10).

As for going to 3200+ speeds just pin mod it so that it boots up as a 200MHz CPU (L12 mod like they do for mobiles).

ALX800 is quite compact as its made for 80mm fan only.
Go to the Thermalright website and take the dimentions and see if it fits :)
I wouldn't sattle on anything but a Thermalright.

thx guys for the replies
I think ill go with a smaller heatsink (like the Dynatron) and put the 60mm to 80mm adapter.

I know that the SLK800 is very good but it wont fit on my mobo :-/

Do you think I could use this Volcano 10+ with this and this fan

And for the OC, do I have really to pin mod it or can I just set the FSB at 200mhz ?

Last edited:
I'd like to 2nd the SI-97. It has a very small footprint, since the fins are suspended over base via the heatpipes. Awesome HS.

Hippo101 said:
thx guys for the replies
I think ill go with a smaller heatsink (like the Dynatron) and put the 60mm to 80mm adapter.

I know that the SLK800 is very good but it wont fit on my mobo :-/

Do you think I could use this Volcano 10+ with this and this fan

And for the OC, do I have really to pin mod it or can I just set the FSB at 200mhz ?

Having an 80 fan blowing into a 80-60mm adapter, that really cripples the airflow.

Having an 80mm fan blowing out from an 80-60 mm adapter works a little better, but still not as good as having an 80mm heatsink in the first place.

I know you're concerned about problems with the HS fitting, though.

(edit) Ok, looked up the base dimensions for the SI-97, 48mm x 34mm according to this:
http://www.systemcooling.com/thermalright_si-97-02.html
some good pix there too which might help you decide whether it would fit or not.

Last edited:
Here take a look
The heatsink is the AMD stock one
Its about 60mm*70mm and its almost touching a capacitor

So I guess the Thermalright should be the best option for me.
If u have any other idead let me know !

01.jpg

02.jpg

Hippo, the Thermalright sinks are made in a Y shape so to speak. They are the same size as your CPU at the bottom and then after a centimeter or two start to open up so they clear all the caps.
You should google for a Thermalright HSF placement on your mobo.

Flipmode, I don't think you read the whole thread, or else are not familiar with the SI-97. It has a small base, then the heatpipes curve up and connect to the fins. The fins are suspended above the base, connected only by the pipes. It doesn't look like the SP-97 or any of the previous Thermalright sinks. It should fit.

What Flipmode meant is that "standard" Thermalright heatsinks like the SLK900A will fit my mobo without problems because of the "Y" shape of the fins.

So, should I go with a SLK900A or a SI97 ??

Oh, I get it.

Well, the SI-97 is only $35, and is the latest/best Thermalright product (perhaps tied with the SP-97). The SLK-900A is an older generation, and is getting harder to come by. I see no reason why you wouldn't grab the SI-97, but I'm sure you'd be happy with either.

Got an ALX800 with a 39CFM Sunon Fan
Right now im idling at 39C at 3200+ speeds :)

Back