• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Artifacting 9800 Pro

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mudpark41

I bought a 128 meg Saffire 9800 Pro. I put a VGA Silencer on it and I am getting slight artifacting on the desktop. I tried to clean the Core off with some 70% Isopropyl Alcohol and I am still getting the artifacting. Any sugestions as to how I might be able to get rid of the artifacting?

mudpark41 said:
I bought a 128 meg Saffire 9800 Pro. I put a VGA Silencer on it and I am getting slight artifacting on the desktop. I tried to clean the Core off with some 70% Isopropyl Alcohol and I am still getting the artifacting. Any sugestions as to how I might be able to get rid of the artifacting?

what Thermal Paste do you use? AS5 is good. and what VGA Silencer Rev do you use. 1? 3?. you might have bad Thermal Paste or didnt Put the cooler right.

Im not OC'ing and I am using As5. I am trying to run at stock speeds and am Still getting the artifacting.

what VGA Silencer Rev do you use. 1? 3?. you might puted the cooler Wrong or just have to much thermal Paste on the Core..try to close down the PC for a while and wait tills the Card is coled and put it on again.if you still have artifacts...than something is wrong with the card..might be a bad Card than.

I have the 1st Revision for the 9800 Pro. I put a very small amount of paste on the core. and made it an even coat. If you take the VGA Silencer off after the pressure has been applied to it, then you woud be able to see the ATI logo in the Heatsink. Also if I take the Silencer off the coat will have been so thin that you could almost see through to the Core, but the core would still be covered in As5. I really dont know what could be the problem.

like i said..try to close down the PC for a while and wait tills the Card is coled and put it on again.if you still have artifacts...than something is wrong with the card..might be a bad Card than.

Radius said:
lol why would he use the old s*cky cooler again..that doesnt help.

Just to check to see if the silencer isnt making good contact. He might have to remove the shim.

--Josh

Z YA LTR said:
Just to check to see if the silencer isnt making good contact. He might have to remove the shim.

--Josh

off course it most contact the Core good...and i dont think he wanna take the risk to remove the shim..it´s damn hard to do that and very easy to break someting.

Radius said:
off course it most contact the Core good...and i dont think he wanna take the risk to remove the shim..it´s damn hard to do that and very easy to break someting.

Ok tell me how you know his silencer is making good contact with the core? How do you know he even installed it right? Were you there to help him? I think not.

--Josh

Edit: Merry Christmas

Z YA LTR said:
Ok tell me how you know his silencer is making good contact with the core? How do you know he even installed it right? Were you there to help him? I think not.

--Josh

Edit: Merry Christmas

cuz he tooled me the cooler had contact with the core.And yes i think he have puted ut right...havnt heard that someone is so stupid and putit wrong.

Merry xmas.

The VGA Silencer is making contact with the Core. Just not even Contact. The Bottom Right part of the Core has the most contact. I am going to try and sand down the little plastic nub the prevents the VGA Silencer from making better contact. Also when I first had the card it artifacted so bad It would not boot into windows. There was old Thermal Paste all over the bridges of the core. I cleaned that all out with some Isopropyl alcohol and then I could boot into windows. I have cleaned the core more with the alcohol and still getting the artifacting.

Make sure you didnt get as5 on any of the resistors around the core. I know its not conductive but it still isnt good to have it on anything besides the core.

--Josh

Back