• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

when do you think a X800pro is unstable?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I think doom3 puts a serious strain on the memory chips and becomes unstable because of it. if anyone is reading this please post!

you could point a fan at your card and see what happens..
IIRC doom3 made many oced cards, considered stable, go unstable, because it puts more stress on them..

I've played farcry, need for speed underground 2 and ut2004..
but I guess they are not enough to overheat my card.
With the vga silencer it won't go above 68C at all

if i was to play farcry and call of duty for 10 hours at a lan party in a 20degree room what clocks should my ati X800proVIVO be set at?

each card is completely different... can't guess clocks.

a card that artifacts and locks up in games is unstable, anything under that is fine. if you're having problems i'd look at drivers or your system.

my card is currently running at 510/520 in a 28degree room.at load 62degree core temp,51degree temperature of temp.chips .no probs with any game or 3DMark01.Think i can run 515/525 at the abovementioned lan?no mods have been done to the card.

RAMMAN said:
my card is currently running at 510/520 in a 28degree room.at load 62degree core temp,51degree temperature of temp.chips .no probs with any game or 3DMark01.Think i can run 515/525 at the abovementioned lan?no mods have been done to the card.

I game with mine set at 540/560. 29c full load after hours of gaming. Of courseIm using water though. I can go as high as 591/591. And play games stable but I just dont want to stress it that much.

Oh and I have volt modded my card to.

--Josh

RAMMAN said:

if this is true, you won't get any problems. Its hard to kill a card without modding it (stock voltage), because it will mostly start to artifact before the heat will do any damage. And if you get 68C with 28C ambient, all is fine..

bad news.farcry froze when i tried to shoot my pistol at a mercenary at 515/530.nothing short of a voltmod will get me anywhere near xtpe speeds.genuine ati cards suck at overclocking.i guess i will have to be subjected to running at 515/525 for the best part of next year.

either the card has a low stock voltage or the gpu is just a bad overclocker.
If I were you I'd enjoy this great card with the little overclock and if it shouldn't be enough any more (in some years ;) ), you could do a voltmod and go further.
I'm doing the same with my bad overclocking 9800xt.
Is there even a need to overclock a x800 pro?

I've got my card running in games at 575/540 (max 585/545) up from stock 531/540. Voltmodded with the ATi4 Silencer on it. Upped the vgpu from stock 1.4v to 1.61v (there abouts). Maximum temp I'm getting is 51C ATiTool artifact testing. I only maxed at 47C playing CS:S earlier today.

Been running these voltages and clocks for 2 months now.

Merry Christmas btw. :santa2:

i am not sure if my entire system is getting enough voltage.i mean my Xblade case has 3 blue leds and a temperature guage and when i first turn on my computer one of the front leds dims and even flashes a bit!!!

That's normal imo. I get it as well. When the computer is turned on at first, it seems that it's sending max power to everything for the split second like my LED fans and Video Card LED fan go to full brightness. Afterwhich they run normally again. Nothing to be worried about imo.

still my 400w psu that came with the case could be hindering my overclocking attempts especially with a prescott drawing a fair amount of power.and it seems that not only is 515/525 the absolute limit for my defective card,but with the slightest change of room temperature the card can still ocassionally freeze at the abovementioned speed,being summer over here in australia now.most of the time i play at 513/521 but on a really hot day the only stable speed is what i like to call (fail-safe overclock)500/500.slow i know.i am also going to try to change the timings of my ocz gold edition ram today with a slight change of voltage at my local lan today.hope the airconditioned room temp of 20degrees is cool enough to run my gfx card all day at its maximum speed.

RAMMAN said:
still my 400w psu that came with the case could be hindering my overclocking attempts especially with a prescott drawing a fair amount of power.and it seems that not only is 515/525 the absolute limit for my defective card,but with the slightest change of room temperature the card can still ocassionally freeze at the abovementioned speed,being summer over here in australia now.most of the time i play at 513/521 but on a really hot day the only stable speed is what i like to call (fail-safe overclock)500/500.slow i know.i am also going to try to change the timings of my ocz gold edition ram today with a slight change of voltage at my local lan today.hope the airconditioned room temp of 20degrees is cool enough to run my gfx card all day at its maximum speed.

I myself wouldn't call this card defective if you can get any OC on it at all. You may be expecting too much from your current set up. I just got an x800pro, haven't oc'd it yet but if I get anything out of it, I'll be happy.

And you're sure that your heatsink and all that is mounted correctly and that the card is getting enough power/cooling?

Back