• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Questions on setup and cooling systems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

YoMatta

OK guys, first off - thanks to everyone who has helped me in the past. I didn't necessarily go with what any one person has said, but have filtered what everyone said and decided what was best for me (as that's usually the idea anyways).

OK, so the first build of this wasn't quite so pricey, after saving some $xxx in other areas of things I was going to buy and then getting a little $xx during the holidays I've decided to up some of the specs. Here they are:

Mobo - Intel I925XE - Link
CPU - Intel LGA775 P4 3.4 HT - Link
Sound - Audigy 2 ZS Gamer (yay games) - Link
Memory - 2x512mb Kingston HyperX 240-pin DDR2-533(PC2-4300) - Link
HDD - 2x WD 80g 7200rpm SATA (RAID 0 Config) - Link
DVD Burner - NEC 3500A 16x DL - Link
Combo - LiteOn 52x CD-R, 16x DVD-ROM - Link
Case - Thermaltake Xaser V - Link
PSU - Antec 550w - Link
HS - Thermaltake Jungle512 - Link
Video - Gigabyte x800XT PCI-e - Link

According to my spreadsheet this comes out to: $1887.63 b4 tax & shipping. Aw jeez - but it'll last a while. :D

OK, so here are my q's. 1) I'd like just a general critique of the system, 2) I'll be doing some gaming and I'm concerned about the memory latency. Does anyone know of better ddr2-533 memory or have any insight on this? 3) i've heard the intel mobo's aren't great for oc'ing, but are good mobo's nonetheless. Any insight on this mobo and other options that would be better suited to overall use and oc'ing would be great (i don't plan on oc'ing straight from the start, but plan on it eventually), and lastly, 4) I'm concerned about the cooling. I've had issues with overheating in the past and I -REALLY- don't want to have to worry about it. Is the HS enough? Should I get cooling for the video card - and if so please be specific. I'm also assuming the PSU will be able to handle the power requirements, but if there are any issues with it please let me know.

Other than that, thanks everyone for giving me insight as to the different aspects of putting a decent system together.

PS - anyone know of online sites that actually have the x800xt in stock? or any idea when they will be back in stock? - thanks! :attn:

EDIT: changing the case to a V3000 Dream, changing the HS to a SilenX Ixtrema, and changing the mobo to a DFI Lanparty 925X-T2. So I'm still curious about the vid card (who's sellin?) and the latency on the memory. Thanks all!

Last edited:
go with the Asus boards if you intend to overclock later. I'd recommend abit but they're going through some financial/legal problems at the moment.

that jungle cooler is not that good. Not much better than stock according to some reviews. Save your money, put it towards an XP-90, with the mounting bracket for LGA775. Much better heatsink.

Sweet, after some thought I think I'm goin to to throw in a DFI Lanparty board, as the Asus is just a little too pricey for me, but maybe I'll upgrade it later. I'm also goin to throw in an SilenX Ixtrema HS, according to the reviews over in the cooling section this thing is supposed to be wicked. If that doesn't work out I'll probably throw in an XP120. I'm also goin to change the Case to a Tt V3000 Dream or some such thing, with 2 120mm and 1 side 90mm to help airflow.

So my question about the memory still remains... Is the latency low enough in the Kingston? or should I be lookin for something else? (and if so, be as specific as possible).

Still wondering - anyone know where I can find an x800xt?

thanks all!

XP-120 with some AS5 if you are going to go air cooling. Or you could get a WC system if you can afford it for better overclocking.

Was thinking about WC later on, but this is pretty much tapping my budget for the time being. I still gotta keep some money stashed away to pick up some games as I've been primarily console gaming for a while. Thanks on the positive feedback though, I definitely will be careful oc'ing and might not do it for a while as I'm new to it and this system will be fast enough. I may actually start to put together a secondary system that is much slower to see how much I can really OC it.

Thanks again for all the input, again if anyone has concerns please let me know! I'm more than open to positive and negative (constructive) feedback, as this is the first "serious" system I'm putting together.

Back