• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Christmas Crash

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

darkknight187

(go to the last paragraph for the resultant problem although all of the other events sit in the middle)
what i've got is a 160gb maxtor drive in 2 different partitions and some unallocated space at this point.

When i started after waking up this morning for christmas was a computer that would boot to the windows loading screen, go black then reboot endlessly.... ok easy i'll just slap windows on my small hdd and use that to get the critical things off of C and on to a different partition. normally this is an easy process, i then reinstall windows on the larger drive and go along my way

Well this time i came across a balloon pop-up bitching about disk write problems while copying the files. then it gets to the point where no partition on the maxtor is accessible. alright it must either be a mobo issue or a cable problem

I decide that because the other disk will work as the slave that its a cable problem so i take the pc out and go to take the cable off, the connector stays on the drive while the IDE cable comes right off, thats mucho bad. ok so i "borrow" an IDE cable from the rig i am in the slow process of building and boot the machine up, no dice on the original, so then i bring up what i had just created and CHKDSK on each of the partitions i could on the maxtor, alot of errors and stuff fixed so i try to boot it then, still no dice. so i get valuable files off of C: and onto one of the other partitions.

I then boot my windows CD and i delete C and create a new C (quick NTFS) and it cannot copy any of the files over. so ok i decide to try to do the rather lengthy regular format as i think if i remember right it chks for bad sectors, and now right about one hour after that has finished (said it cannot format the disk) i am calling out for any help.

Anyways sorry to bother on this christmas but i'm hoping i havent killed another disk just months after the last one went :(

Go to www.maxtor.com and download the PowerMax tool set. Make a boot floppy and let it run on your problematic drive. It will most likely spit out an error code which you can use to RMA the drive.

Sorry about your problems, you have my sympathy. Losing stuff sucks, and Christmas should not be spent dealing with dead hardware.

thanks i figured that would be the next step, so i get to add it to my holiday do's list..
Send DRE ps2 to sony
and now hopefully RMA my maxtor

i was only making sure an RMA wasnt my next choice at this point, i would much rather make sure i had tried all other options first for their sake and mine.

Back