• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

O/C=Restart Failure

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ivanmoe

My machine has trouble restarting after any sort of O/C. I've run through extended diagnostic and benchmark runs without issue (Prime95, memtest, 3dmark), only to have the system go whacky on me when I try to restart.

Using the machine in my Sig, I've tried the following setups:

CPU: 250x10, Memory: 166 (2-3-3-10-1T), HT: 4x, Voltages=Default
CPU: 240x10, Memory: 166 (2-2-2-10-1T), HT: 4x, Voltages=Default
CPU: 250x9, Memory: 166 (2-2-2-10-1T), HT: 4x, Voltages=Default
CPU: 220x10, Memory: 200 (2-3-3-10-1T), HT: 4X, Voltages=Default

"Whacky" means that it fails at some point in the reboot process. If I get to the IDE info, then I'm okay though. Again, I've been able to run different sorts of diagnostics and benchmarks, apparently 100% stable. But, when I warm-boot, it fails about 2/3 of the time. To reboot, I either have to repeatedly hit the reset switch or clear the CMOS.

Thoughts?

Moe

BTW: The machine is bulletproof with the optimized defaults loaded.

I gave up on running my system asyncrously, and just dumbed down my memory a bit.

Currently, I'm running K8N/Winchester 2Ghz at 10x240 in SYNC with memory at 2.5,2,2,10 & 1T. The memory is set to 2.65 volts and all the other voltages are stock. AGP is 67 and spread spectrum is enabled (BIOS dictated this, BTW).

I'd like to go higher with the board, but will need to up the CPU voltage in order to do so.

That said, could someone briefly explain the difference between the two CPU adjustments available in the CMOS settings?

Thanks,

Moe

Moe

ivanmoe said:
I gave up on running my system asyncrously, and just dumbed down my memory a bit.

Currently, I'm running K8N/Winchester 2Ghz at 10x240 in SYNC with memory at 2.5,2,2,10 & 1T. The memory is set to 2.65 volts and all the other voltages are stock. AGP is 67 and spread spectrum is enabled (BIOS dictated this, BTW).

I'd like to go higher with the board, but will need to up the CPU voltage in order to do so.

That said, could someone briefly explain the difference between the two CPU adjustments available in the CMOS settings?

Thanks,

Moe

Moe

you can easily disable spread sprectrum by lowering the fsb until the the option is no longer grayed and disable it, 200-205 should do the trick, then just put back to what you had it

Thanks Bob!

I could have stared at that screen for days and never understood when I lost control of the option.

Back to my question above though, about the two CPU settings...

Why on earth do they put in a setting that APPARENTLY allows us to set the CPU voltage, but make it inoperable?

I just don't get it.

And what's up with the percentage business?

It looks to me as though they should just have properly enabled the former and dispensed with the latter. ;)

Moe

As for the Vcore settings, I've noticed at least w/ 1.41Modded Bios the Vcore settings above 10% are not working, judged by the Corecell reading of the Vcore as well as the temp. of the CPU (LOWER temp. when I upped the Vcore from +10% to +15%!!!)

Well, I thought I'd update my progress on this issue, which is to say that there was none. I was never able to run the memory and CPU ASYNC, despite much angst and aggitation. That's the bad news.

The good news is that the board peforms very capably with the CPU and memory SYNC'd, so I just went in that direction. I consider 10x250 to be a sweet spot of sorts, performance vs stress wise, so that's where I shall remain.

Interestingly, the board would run at 2.5ghz with NO voltage increase. That said, I noticed that I could knock 3C off of my load temps by kicking it up 3.3%, so that's where I went with the setting.

Further increases in voltages yielded no reduction in temps or apparent stability, so there was no point in kicking it up higher, at least with these speed and memory settings.

All I need now is my beloved Soundstorm!

Moe

Back