• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do i bust a war driver?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MadSkillzMan

ok guys, long story short this guy i used to be alright with was a huge war driver (always braggin how he'd steal internet, corrup XP installs, hack in all crazy ways, upload warez/bootleg films) to random computers and homes, but i never cared. he did notice, i have the 2wire home portal, which he was very familliar with.

so, a dispute started, which was at fault of his girlfriend, to make it short, hes super PO'd at me for doing the right thing (hes cheating on his 14 month gf..u get the idea). well, he konws ima wirelss moron, and hes got to be the worst when it comes to being secretive, as he told a few friends hes gonna try to mess up a few of my comps.

i disabled the wirless fucntion before this all happened, and checked shortly after. last nite about 3 hours after a convo, when it looked like we wer all alseep, my DSL modem spazed out, only the network lights wer blinking. i check the status, and the wireless had been re-enabled (no idea HOW thats even possible)

so one day he was bragging at school how he could do all this to me, and a peer who served 4 years in the marines. after this loudmouth left, the marine informed me (as he was trained in computer networking) that itd be very very easy for osmeone to snatch his MAC address and bust him for it.

now im not asking how to protect my home network, as most my machines are *nix/osx based and hell i cant get those to network right if i wanted, he cant even boot knoppix..hes always babbling how it takes about 15mins+ to break the 2wires 64bit encryption. so far i figured when i notice the modem spaz, bring up the status page (hopefully find his mac addy), and video tape him doing it (dumb enough to park in front of the house/neighbors when my freinds are over) take a quick look at the cables preveiw channel to confirm date and time..with the video camera...so basically i have video footage of him in the process, and hopefully his address.

he said he uses IRC scripts mainly...and a few hacker-brew wireless tools..hes justa dumb kid with a lappy, a tin can, and some internet tutorials, hes not that great. what i wanna know is, how do i sucessfully snatch his mac addy, bust him, and if possible, would there be a way the mac addys from the networks he terrorized be logged onto his computer? if not mac addys im sure IP's but if its an internal IP it does little good. so far hes attacked many many places near his home, whcih hes done the war driver markings on the phone poles, his laptop even has a bumper sticker on it that says "( ) WAR DRIVER". hes also attempted my college's private network (for staff, records, the stuff wer not supposed to know about) some malls, many local computer stores...thats all i know about...i doubt hes smart/dumb enough to try anything like a bank or soemthing, but i dont know.

i know hes for real, since he did it to the guy that lived behind me that bet him he couldnt do it. he sucessfully got in, places some movies and a text file on his desktop saying hello. i wont go into HOW he does it (which makes sense)

any thoughts guys? there was a reason he had no friends to start with lol guess it jsut took us some time to see it. thanks in advance.

This is something where i would consider the authorities. He's stealing things, attacking people, making threats to you, ect. This is serious stuff...

I have very very little experience with 2wire, but I am pretty sure once he acesses your network his MAC address will be under a menu which would say something like: DHCP, Computers, Users, Home Network.

Assuming 2 wire functions simillar to a normal Router w/NAT, I would:

A. look for his MAC address under the DHCP menu.
(B & C are probably under a firewall menu)
B. If found, gointo your MAC filters menu and list his mac address. Bingo! he can no longer access your network even if he cracks your key. Of course all he would have to do is buy a new wireless card/thumbdrive, but I doubt he would know this.
C. If his MAC is not found, then go under MAC filters and add all your computer's MAC addresses. Then switch the deny option to allow. This will cause to same outcome as choice B, except even with a new card he will not beable to access your network. It is possible for him to spoof your computer's wireless MAC address, but I really have no idea if he knows how to do this.

If 2wire does not have these options (which it probably doesn't) I would just install zone alarm on all your windows based systems. Then even if he does get on your network all he can do is mess with your router and possibly turn your internet off. If he does, then just reset (do a complete reset by putting a paperclip in the tiny hole) your router and you just wasted 30 minutes of his time.

Last edited:
Ha I think it would be funny if you sent a worm of some sort back to him once it occurs.
But you would have to have proof at the same time. One camera pointing to your computer screen showing what is going on, and the other pointed at his car.

Of course you could always alert the police and your ISP. The ISP may take it a little more serious as the hacking portion.

But all it would take for him to find your WEP key is some packet sniffing. If you want to get him really angry just turn your networking equipment off.

Hmm..

I don't know here. Lot's of shady stuff going on; more than I think you're letting on.

Why did you tell his girlfriend about what he's doing? Why was it any of your business? Right or wrong, you have no right to do that. It's guy code. Were you trying to get with her and that's why? If so that's low.

As to what he's doing, yeah it's bad. But don't call the police like some rat or the mpaa or anything like that. Nobody likes snitches. Rather, if you want to "catch him" or whatever, start a rumor in school or make sure someone gets the message to him that you are gonna have a big "get together chat or something" or anything that would get his attention, so that he is lured to come there.

Then hide behind a bush and when he pulls up in his car (or in your case, bicycle) beat the hell out of him, look him in the eyes (the direct eye contact is important) and tell him if he ever messes with you again you're gonna come to where he sleeps and disfigure his face. (Studies show people are much more afraid of disfigurement and the thought of disfigurement than they are of dying or getting hurt.)

Yes..yes......that what you should do.

p.s. If you can't "beat him up", as they say, nothing wrong with a blunt object and a "ninja" surprise attack.

urbancontra said:
Hmm..

I don't know here. Lot's of shady stuff going on; more than I think you're letting on.

Why did you tell his girlfriend about what he's doing? Why was it any of your business? Right or wrong, you have no right to do that. It's guy code. Were you trying to get with her and that's why? If so that's low.

As to what he's doing, yeah it's bad. But don't call the police like some rat or the mpaa or anything like that. Nobody likes snitches. Rather, if you want to "catch him" or whatever, start a rumor in school or make sure someone gets the message to him that you are gonna have a big "get together chat or something" or anything that would get his attention, so that he is lured to come there.

Then hide behind a bush and when he pulls up in his car (or in your case, bicycle) beat the hell out of him, look him in the eyes (the direct eye contact is important) and tell him if he ever messes with you again you're gonna come to where he sleeps and disfigure his face. (Studies show people are much more afraid of disfigurement and the thought of disfigurement than they are of dying or getting hurt.)

p.s. If you can't "beat him up", as they say, nothing wrong with a blunt object and a "ninja" surprise attack.

I'm sorry but this is poor advice. Nothing like this should be done and it is proving yourself to be at his level.

And as for this "guy code" I've never heard of it. Just about everyone I know would tell their significant other of they were cheating on them.

I will admit though I too think there is more then meets the eye here.

I would highly suggest keep doing what your doing. Keep the video tape footage and any files he may put on your computer. Archive them with a ghoested image or something of your hardrive. It's better to have an exact image of your hardrive with the files in place rather then just the files them self on a CD. If you can get his MAC address. There are many programs out there and script kiddy programs out there that will record all IP and MAC address on your network at any given time. I would suggest CAIN and ABLE. It works very well. The newer versions you have to pay for as it is now an actual secruity tool but you should be able to find one of the older free versions.

And I would also highly recommend reporting to the police AND your ISP. If he's not actually using your ISP for anything though theres a good chance they cant do anything about it. If your local or state police department isnt technologically capable enough to handle something like this (like mine) I would try very hard to get his MAC address.

Id hate to say it but your best chance of punishment would be the MPAA if he is copying movies and such. I woudl resort to this last as it is very harsh.

Also notify the local places you KNOW he has attacked. Larger networks like colleges, all though sometimes not well built, have very in depth logs that should have had his intrusion on file.

Was i going to get with her? hell no. This guy was friggen weird, he'd continuosly call my house, tell me to get rid of my grilfriend, that gay is the best way to be lol. (whats that say about him?) he was screwing around with one of our lady freinds and all of us were sick of it, only no one had the guts to put an end to it except me. His gf came asking all of my friends and me, cuz she suspected it too, why should i cover up for him? what hes doing is wrong in the first place. Not only that, but i got a deal doing video special FX for a small independant film, which is something i enjoy doing. He got all aggervated with me because of this, because his laptop cant handle the stuff a daully can, nor does he even know how to simply edit video. That, and because i refused to be a part of his chilish jackass-like tapes.

i sure hope your being sarcastic with this one. isnt that what we would do when we're 15 years old? that doesnt even solve anything rather make it worse.

9mmCensor said:
he steals movies?

Call the MPAA and get them to sue his a**.

not only that, but places them on other people networks, and puts up symbols to let others know they're available for download.

Turd Furguson said:
Ha I think it would be funny if you sent a worm of some sort back to him once it occurs.
But you would have to have proof at the same time. One camera pointing to your computer screen showing what is going on, and the other pointed at his car.

But all it would take for him to find your WEP key is some packet sniffing. If you want to get him really angry just turn your networking equipment off.

this thought has crossed my mind, but then that might destroy any evidence, unless i could lock it myself remotely?

And thats all he does, packet sniffing. But rather put up with this stupidity and have him go after my freinds too, i figure ill just play dumb, let him get in, get the proof, shut off the modem, and contact the authorities. i have no tolerance for childish crap like this. I appreciate the help guys, i could go into more detail if you wish

hey urbancontra, i dont kno what your problem is, i see what you posted and i see it got taken down. if you got nothing nice to say, dont say anything at all.

if your opinion is this is BS, where are the facts supporting it? your opinion is only as good as what supports it.

well id hate to say this but for people that dont kno what a war driver is, it is basically a person who drives around detecting wireless networks and basically mapping out the areas that have wireless networks and report them to like websites with huge databases. I would like that say this IS NOT ILLEGAL. there is a little thing they do to the registry where it doesnt automatically connect to networks so it is not illegal. The war driver term got mixed up just like the hacker term, hackers dont do malicious things, they are just people that are familiar with computer hardware just like many of us at ocforums. Crackers on the other hands are malicious people which destroy and do illegal things. War Driving is like a hobby they hold competitions to see who can find the most networks in an amount of time.. but in this situation there is war driver gone bad so I am just clearing up the fact that war driving is not a bad thing..

Now onto your situation. In order to get his information thru internet there is a program out there that detects who is doing what on YOUR network. You can even do the send a msg thing thru the internet saying that you are monitoring them.. this is not illegal IF in fact it is YOUR network. You can see what they are doing as well as get their information. It is called AirSnare. It was featured on Tech TV's The Screen Savers a while ago... http://www.g4techtv.com/html/videos...vers/2004/ss040105dt_165_0.asf&video_key=8081 thats a video for you guys.. just do a search on google for the official download site. Good luck and dont push this too far.. By what I can see he says he can crack you 64-bit encrytion is very possible... jus bump it up to 128-bit encryption and make the password long, very long.. no dictionary words and not only just 2 numbers after some word.. if you get really cautious just unplug your router entirely as well as your modem..

ah, well i am sorry i got the name mixed up. hate to put more bad rep on something that really isnt.

As for this prog, thank you this is exactly what im looking for. i just kind of wanted to bust him to put an end to it once and for all, not just for myself, but everyone else out there that doesnt deserve this.

as for my 128 it does require a keycode. the 64bit one has a default one which comes with the modem, i beleive theyre all the same, if not off by a few digits.

as a burn ill do shutdown *his comp name* /f in DOS probably after a netsend of "Gotcha!"

i appreciate the help daniel dynasty

hey no prob man.. yeahh netsend forgot bout that... a while back a kid did a netsend on a school network becuz his dad taught him how to do it and he netsend'ed Hey as a message.. he got suspended lol. So all you parents out there.. NEVER EVER teach your kid howto netsend lol.

lol we did that to each other in phsyics...each group had a lappy on win2k..we shared answers lol. i put the idea towardsa C++ genius, who in return made a netsend masker....god was that funny...sadly i learned shutdown /f after highskool.

First thing is go get a restraining order to prevent him from being within say 1500' for your home. You can also go talk with the DA and ask him/her what steps you can take against this person illegally gaining access to your pc(s) and others. Find all the other victims of his crimes and get them all to band together and nail this moron in court. You two in the same college or high school? Talk with the Dean or principal. Take this seriously. This could escalate into worst problems if you dont put a stop to it. Cops dont want to do anything, dont let up on them. Its their job to follow up on complaints no matter how petty the complaint seems.

But if that doesnt work. DO like what happened to a kid in hs here. Apparently this kid tee'd enough people off that after a school funtion at night, a bunch of kids grabbed him and dragged him off to a public park. Handcuffed him to a tree, gagged him with duct tape and de-pants him. :eek:

lol same college...hes got an edge over me, he can see....i have the poorest vision ever..i probably will make alittle note to the dean.

My suggestions to you:
-> Log into your router, change your administration password, turn on MAC filtering, and put in some bogus MAC (to disable it again), enable WEP with the highest encryption it has with a random WEP key, and disable your wireless.
-> If you are more paranoid, unplug the router's power when you are not using it.
-> Let this argument cool off, and nobody gets too hurt.

If you want to "catch him", unplug everything from your router, turn on WEP, turn on MAC filtering, and then watch for him. If you are able to catch him sitting out in front of your place, call the cops and report, "Some weird guy in a car outside your house" (for better effect, get someone female to call in). Eventually they will send a cruiser and question him as to what he's doing and why he's there, and when he can't answer their questions very well, he'll be in some deep water.. even deeper if they find out that he's trying to hack an access point.

Had a similar incident around here a few years ago... some guy parked a white van half way down the street, and just stayed there for a while, so we called the cops, they came down and questioned him.. he was a private investigator on legitimate business though.

You may want to look into a program called "arpwatch", which will detect the presence of MAC addresses that aren't yours, and alert you to it... but it'll require a bit of setup, and by that point, he'll already be in your network.

Sleep with his girlfriend so she can tell everybody how much better in bed you were than him.

Or, pay her some cash to say you slept with her and to say how much better in bed you were than him.

Back