• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Here Be Myne Owne Fyrst 90nm-A64 3200+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fateshammer

I would have waited for Rev E0 with nForce 4 early next year, but I got a little extra cash left after Xmas just enough for a Mobo (Abit AV8 Ver 1.1) and CPU bundle . So what the heck, I blew it anyway to give myself a post-Xmas present. Being currently broke, I will be reusing all my previous components in my sig, except the cooler of course. And I expect either my ram or PSU will not take me far. My Antec TP's rated current @ +12V is 22A, supposedly barest minimum for pushing A64s beyond. But I'll just see how far I can take her and be happy with it for the moment. I'm so tired now, just finished putting in the stuff. Will update this in the coming days. Here she is. Week 50.

Attachments

• 939-90nm_A64-3200-Winchester.jpg
    939-90nm_A64-3200-Winchester.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 516
Looks like a good chip of a very late week. Your results should be more interesting when coupled with an appropraite power supply and memory. Good luck! :thup:

deception``

Deception, so what you are saying is that the later the week, the better. My 3200 939 just came today also and it is a week 44. Has there been good luck with these, I wonder? I have the Neo2 m/b but am going to have to wait on a new Raptor till Thurs. Not enough locked SATA ports to run my 2 36's in Raid.

The performance hit in newer games from running your ram async will be a couple FPS at most. Unless you are into benching you'll never notice the difference. And your psu probably won't limit your overclock much, if at all.

The week 45 and above are considered to have SS-SOI and thus some people manage to get crazy OCs on air. So yeah the later the week the better.

The week 45 and above are considered to have SS-SOI and thus some people manage to get crazy OCs on air.
Just my luck as it always seems to be. I can NEVER be the lucky one to get "the" chip. One week too early this time. :bang head

Pntgrd said:
Just my luck as it always seems to be. I can NEVER be the lucky one to get "the" chip. One week too early this time. :bang head

Most likely strained silicon is NOT incorporated into any current Winchester; rather, there is simply belief that later chips are of a better build and, therefore, will overclock better.

deception``

I got min efrom excaliber bout 2 weeks ago, winchester 939 3200+ 90nm. Epox 9nda3+ and its stable on air at +.25V 22C right now at 270x10. I just need a vdimm mod so i can stretch my bh5's legs a bit as i have to use 150 for my RAM devider (193 real mghz)Good for a 24,811 in 3dmark01 with a 9800 pro.

Where'd you guys get your chips?
Mine is from Newegg. I haven't put it together yet. Have to wait on a new Raptor. I wanted to use my existing 36's in Raid plus another 160g SATA but as only 2 SATA ports are locked on the Neo2, I had to make other plans and ordered a 74g Raptor, which should be here Thursday. I should be putting it all together on Friday.

DRAT! I keep getting sporadic shutdowns at stock! For no apparent reason at all. Fresh WinXP install. Clearing the CMOS gets me back on. I checked around some forums these past two days and apparently Abit AV8 and Antec TruePower is a match made in hell. Theres a lot of related incompatibility problems that have surfaced over at Abit forums. Damn. I can't Oc this chip without a serious PSU. What a load of crap. For those who are about to have the same mobo-PSU combo, dont even think about it and spare yourself the trouble. Need to get either OCZ or Fortron.

Last edited:
deception`` said:
Most likely strained silicon is NOT incorporated into any current Winchester; rather, there is simply belief that later chips are of a better build and, therefore, will overclock better.

deception``

Yes, AFAIK you can only get them in the venice core's. That supposed to be released next month?

fateshammer said:
DRAT! I keep getting sporadic shutdowns at stock! For no apparent reason at all. Fresh WinXP install. Clearing the CMOS gets me back on. I checked around some forums these past two days and apparently Abit AV8 and Antec TruePower is a match made in hell. Theres a lot of related incompatibility problems that have surfaced over at Abit forums. Damn. I can't Oc this chip without a serious PSU. What a load of crap. For those who are about to have the same mobo-PSU combo, dont even think about it and spare yourself the trouble. Need to get either OCZ or Fortron.

This is something that I have been preaching for quite some time. Of course, there is a slim chance that your instability may be caused by something other than the unit, but it goes without question that a healthy power supply should be coupled with almost every major upgrade.

deception``

Notorious Mike said:
Yes, AFAIK you can only get them in the venice core's. That supposed to be released next month?

Not sure on this one. If they were to be "released," it would most likely be an infamous paper launch. In other words, we probably wouldn't see the real thing available for purchase for a few months following the initial debut.

deception``

Pntgrd said:
Mine is from Newegg. I haven't put it together yet. Have to wait on a new Raptor. I wanted to use my existing 36's in Raid plus another 160g SATA but as only 2 SATA ports are locked on the Neo2, I had to make other plans and ordered a 74g Raptor, which should be here Thursday. I should be putting it all together on Friday.

Can you explain what you mean by " 2 SATA Ports are locked"? I have 2 36gb Raptors on the way that I was going to Raid on my Neo Platinum.

Thanks

Can you explain what you mean by " 2 SATA Ports are locked"?
SATA ports 3 & 4 are frequency locked. In other words, adjustments to the system bus do NOT effect them. Ports 1 & 2 are not frequency locked so as you raise your systme bus the speed also increases on theses ports. There is a point where your hdd's will start to corrupt the data thus limiting your o/c. If you are only going to use 2 Raptors you will not have a problem since you can use ports 3 & 4. I, on the other hand, aso want to have another SATA drive which I would have to hook to port 1 or 2 if I used my 2 36g Raptors. I am not willing to rick the data corruption or the o/c limit, so I am switching my 2 36's for a 74g Raptor.

Pntgrd said:
SATA ports 3 & 4 are frequency locked. In other words, adjustments to the system bus do NOT effect them. Ports 1 & 2 are not frequency locked so as you raise your systme bus the speed also increases on theses ports. There is a point where your hdd's will start to corrupt the data thus limiting your o/c. If you are only going to use 2 Raptors you will not have a problem since you can use ports 3 & 4. I, on the other hand, aso want to have another SATA drive which I would have to hook to port 1 or 2 if I used my 2 36g Raptors. I am not willing to rick the data corruption or the o/c limit, so I am switching my 2 36's for a 74g Raptor.

Thanks. Guess I'll stick with my IDE drives instead of getting a Big SATA Drive for storage.

I finally got myself the OCZ Powerstream 520 PSU (credit card to the rescue). So I proceeded to take an initial stab at this little bad boy. My primary objective is to find out how far I can take the chip on stock Vcore of 1.40V and at 1T with my Kingston HyperX 3500 I used from my old rig. But first the obligatory screenshots.

These are default/stock settings for everything.

Attachments

• CPU-Z.jpg
    CPU-Z.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 85
  • Sandra 2005_CPU Arithmetic.jpg
    Sandra 2005_CPU Arithmetic.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 71
  • Sandra 2005_MEM Bandwidth.jpg
    Sandra 2005_MEM Bandwidth.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 64
  • 3DMark2001 SE.jpg
    3DMark2001 SE.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 63
Initial OC settings and results (2.45Ghz @ 1.40Vcore-Prime95 stable @ 5hrs)

Isolating the ram, it turned out my HyperX can only keep up to 215 1:1 @1T 2.80 VDIMM. So for now, I have no choice but to go 5:6 (DDR333) on the divider.

Mobo=ABIT AV8 Rev1.1 Bios 17
CPU Multi=10x
LDT Multi=4x
Command Rate=1T
Mem ratio=5:6(DDR333)
Vcore=Stock 1.40V
VDIMM=2.80V
Mem Timings on Auto=2.5-3-3-8

Attachments

• CPU-Z.jpg
    CPU-Z.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 257