• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Chilly temps on air...outside intake!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

uno

Registered
I'm tempted to put my DFI in this puter and reunite it with the 2600 moblie barton that it ran @4.3 on chilled h2o, because this board sucks (ASUS A7V600) for overclocking.
2x 120mm intake( one is to outside@26f and 80mm inline in duct to outside)
1x 120mm exhaust
1x 60mm hairdryer axial blower mounted to stock hs on CPU
:)
chilly010uq.jpg

http://img97.exs.cx/img97/8980/chilly010uq.jpg

Last edited:
Sweet :) My room is naturally...very cold lol. Its normally 55F in my room so ambient temp's are quite cool. Whats that program your using to tell you that info (the left bar)?

ziggo0 said:
Sweet :) My room is naturally...very cold lol. Its normally 55F in my room so ambient temp's are quite cool. Whats that program your using to tell you that info (the left bar)?

smartbarxp.......smartbarxp.com
OH.....yea I know the psu sucks.....lol

You have to click it to open it fullsize...

Last edited:
o_O....its supose to get down to 10f tonight, guess I will have to shut it down overnight or there will surely be condensation.

I wanna do something like that because its supppost to be like -11 tonight...although i wouldnt know where to start. How did you set yours up?

ziggo0 said:
I wanna do something like that because its supppost to be like -11 tonight...although i wouldnt know where to start. How did you set yours up?

You will need.....
1. dryer vent hose
2. approx. 6" square tupperware container
3. something to mount in the window for your dryer hose to pass thru, styrofoam is quick and easy good insulating properties or a board ....worst case cardboard will do.
Cut a hole in the tupperware container so your dryer hose fits snugly.
Mount over your front intake fan with velcro but again you can even tape it temporarily.
I actually stretched the vent hose over an 80mm fan to help increase the flow, then I used a 12 volt wall tranformer to power this fan outside of the case, the 80mm fan will end up in the end of the hose thats attatched to the tupperware container and blowing towards your front intake fan.
There is one other mod that I temporarily setup to help reduce fan noise and make the cold intake more efficient and it dropped my temps another 3c, but I will share that when I am done with that part of the mod.

my friend did something like this, except it's a permanent setup. he has a wall unit air conditioner and just attached a hose to the air conditioner with a 120mm fan sucking in from the AC unit straight to the hose, then another 120 at the other end of the hose, blowing it into the case. then he has a 120mm exhaust on the back of the case, plus 2 80mm intakes on the front, and his power supply fans. the CPU fan is a 92.

so he gets some good temps. he basically has constant airflow from front to back of the case, with cold air blowing all over the motherboard and CPU area. he pulls about 35-38c idle and 40-42c loaded on a 2800+ barton. i'm not sure how high his overclock is.

i would do that same setup but i don't have the wall unit in my room. it's a good way to get some low temps on air though.

I do something similar during the winter. This will be the second year. My home office window looks out onto my second story porch. I just put the whole thing outside and ran the cords under the window. To seal it, I put windows sealer around the bottom edge. I'm using one of those PATA to SATA adapters on my dvd burner so I just ran the optical drive inside too. I have a pic around the house here somewhere, If I find it I'll post it but as I write, these are my temps @ 100% load (F@H):

Attachments

• Cold.jpg
    Cold.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 96
Thanks, though its Mother Nature, and my disregard for the safety of my computer, that should really take the credit.

Don't worry about it, DamienKC. Next summer I'm sure our positions will be reversed when you're running with your Mach 1 and I'm bragging about my 45C load temp.

Nice temps keen......but no guts ...no glory, d
was there any damage from condensation or any thing?

uno said:
Nice temps keen......but no guts ...no glory, d
was there any damage from condensation or any thing?

No condensation isn't really a problem since it only occurs when warm air contacts a cold surface. My exterior temp remains pretty constant.

Back