• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do i get paste off?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AZNBoiOnFIYA

i bought a new heatsink and it came with thermal paste already on it. i want to put as5 on but i dont know how to get the other stuff off. how do i do this?

I always use 99% isopropyl alcohol and Q-tips. Just make sure they Q-tips or whatever don't leave behind any strands of cotton or any other material as that would hinder cooling abilities.

TECHNICALLY, you're supposed to use a "lint free" cloth of some kind...

I use nail polish remover and a razor until I remove the bulk of the stufff....then ditch the razor in favor of q-tips and and old credit card since the plastic doesnt damage the items

scotchbright

I use my finger nail to get the bulk off then a scotchbright pad.
what do you guys think of using scotchbright?

i use the packets of isopropyl they use to disenfect your skin when you get a shot. I figure if they use it for medical stuff then it should be ok for the computer :)

Airpizza said:
i use the packets of isopropyl they use to disenfect your skin when you get a shot. I figure if they use it for medical stuff then it should be ok for the computer :)
Yeah, I hooked up a morphine drip to my RAM and gave my cpu a blood transfusion and now I can run 350fsb on 5-2-2-1.5 timings!!! w00t, I B 1337!!!!11

hehe, jk :D

gvblake22 said:
Yeah, I hooked up a morphine drip to my RAM and gave my cpu a blood transfusion and now I can run 350fsb on 5-2-2-1.5 timings!!! w00t, I B 1337!!!!11

hehe, jk :D
:attn: Yer i figured some morphine would make it so the ram couldnt feel those high mhz :D :attn:

Any oil-based solvent is a no-no. Lighter fluid, alcohol under 91% or nail polish removers some brake cleaners and such. All you will do is inhibit how well the TIM will perform.
I got this off the AS5 manufacturers site: Never use any oil or petroleum based cleaners (WD-40, citrus oil based grease removers and many automotive degreasers) on the base of a heatsink. The oil, which is engineered to not evaporate, will fill in the microscopic valleys in the metal and significantly reduce the effectiveness of any subsequently applied thermal compound.
Use xylene based products (Goof Off, some carburetor cleaners and many brake cleaners.), mineral spiritsm or high-purity isopropyl alcohol.
If it is cleaning correctly you shouldn't have to scrape or scrub it hardly at all.
I had a thermal pad that was over 4 years of use, on an old HS/CPU and used 91% with a lens cleaning cloth and it just wiped away.

alphasl said:
Rubbing alcohol, coffee filters, and a lot of scrubbing.

Ditto, 90% rubbing alcohol and coffee filters, this is the best way IMHO, and the coffee filters are "lint free" just like the AS webstie recommends.

Back