• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI K8n Neo Plat Memory Probs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ashcon

I just installed the neo and an amd 64 +3000. I'm running an asus 6800 video card. My problem is that I have four sticks of pc 333 (2700) 512 ddr, but the board will only work with two( one gig). Each stick has been tested individually and works fine. When all sticks are installed, I get the speaker warning beep and it will not post. Any ideas?

I'm sorry to tell you that it will not work with all four sticks. As of now the board will only run with 2 sticks of double sided Ram (check the manual). I believe this is a limitation of the A64 memory controller as this limitation is on all the 939 mobos. I can only run four because my mem is 256 sticks which are single sided.

Really? In the manual on the last line of the memory config chart, it shows all four slots used with 333ddr. Am I misreading this? Thanks for the help 8)
~Ash~

Last edited:
rseven said:
I don't want to stear you wrong as I'm only two weeks into my own system, but that's my understanding.

Not at all...I aprieciate the imput. 8)

Last edited:
Your more than welcome, just make sure I'm right. That's my understanding of it, but it should not be so damn hard to figure out. The MSI board is a first class product with at best a confusing Bios and manual.

I should add that MSI has a decent support dept. and I'd suggest that you send the question to them. They will get back to you fairly quickly.

You're absolutely right, it shouldn't be an issue, it's just ram for goodness sake....and every MSI product I've owned I cannot speak highly enough about....But an issue it is...*Shrug*
I mailed MSI support and I'll post thier reply.

You can use 4 single sided but not 4 double sided is how I understand it. Check out that link to Kingston in my earlier post that's where I'm getting this from, not MSI. Believe me I'm no expert!

You have dropped the divider down to 100 or 133 to test this out?

It does say 4 banks of D ( DS) ram will run at 333..
With this:

"• The Maximum memory speed decreases when the following two memory combination is selected:
- Each channel is installed with two double-sided memory module
- Both DIMM1 and DIMM3 are installed with double-sided memory module "
Supported by chart below it.

May not though, and it's not the first time I've seen stuff like that.....

GL

m

Daul Channel w'4 x 256?

RSEVEN

I see your running 4 sticks of 256, are
all memory running in dual channel mode?

Samk

Yes, I am running dual channel, but since I'm running at 234 fsb and my Ram will only overclock to 222, I have it set at 166 in the Bios so it runs at 195. (God, isn't that complicated!) I also need to run at 2T as I can't run with stability at 1T. With only 2X 256 I could run at 1T without a problem. I am still hopeful that when the secound set of Ram burns in it will handle 1T.

rseven said:
Yes, I am running dual channel, but since I'm running at 234 fsb and my Ram will only overclock to 222, I have it set at 166 in the Bios so it runs at 195. (God, isn't that complicated!) I also need to run at 2T as I can't run with stability at 1T. With only 2X 256 I could run at 1T without a problem. I am still hopeful that when the secound set of Ram burns in it will handle 1T.

Thanks for the reply, have you tested to see how big
a performance hit your taking at 2t over 1t...

Back