• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows ME, to small of a partition

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

iggybaseball

I am working on a computer that has Windows Me as the operating system. The funny thing about it, is that the c: drive is 2gb in size and the d: (another partition) is about 18gb in size. As you can imagine, the c: filled up in no time. I was wondering how I could solve this problem. There are a lot of programs installed, along with word documents strewn throughout (it's really quite messy). I was wondering if perhaps, I could change the d: drive to act as default? Or could I change the registry to automatically start saving everything in d: as default? The ideal goal would be not to reinstall because I am not sure where the disks are. So, with that said, any suggestions?

I would suggest installing any new programs to D, moving My Documents (if getting full) to the D drive, and perhaps moving over the swap file as well.

Alright guys, some good news and some bad news. I installed partition magic 8.0 as suggested by bchur83 and was able to mesh the two partitions together. It turns out that the first drive has the FAT filesystem, and the second one had the FAT32 filesystem. The final outcome was a giant partition in the FAT32 filesystem. Everything was working rosy and I restarted and tested several things, Yay it worked! I shutdown and got a message later that the computer was not working. I turned it on and got the following message : "Your display adapter is not configured properly, to correct the problem click ok to start the Hardware Installation Wizard." I clicked ok and found out that the problem lay in the "Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) Bios" (Windows could not load the driver for this device because the computer is reporting two ACPI.SYS bust types (Code 2)) I also noticed that the computer no longer recognizes the cd drive or dvd drive so I can't reinstall the drivers. Any suggestions?

It sounds like Windows is trying to load the drivers from the old partition? Wierd. A reformat would be nice, but it sounds like it isnt an option for you. Can you get the computer to start in safe mode? That would be the thing to do, and then try and get the proper drivers loaded and get rid of anything extra that there is.

Back