• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Combine two connections w/ two routers & two NICs?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MonroeM

Is there any way I could combine two cable connections w/ two different routers and two different NICs?

What I want to do is see if I can increase connection speeds.

It will not increase the speed of any downloads, but it would allow you to download 2 files at the same time without slowing eachother down. This is if you were to use a load balancing router, which can be quite expensive.

Hmm... ok, I'm on the road ATM, when I find a fast hotspot, I'll be back to ask a few more questions. Thanks guys.

get a dual-wan router. that'll help. i read a while back (i think it was a tomshardware article) about a guy testing some dual-wan routers, and the speed they gave with 2 broadband connections. for most of them, you won't notice much until you try to do some heavy downloading, and use a download manager-type program that will find all the fastest possible links (using both lines) and you'll get mega-speed that way.

TollhouseFrank said:
get a dual-wan router. that'll help. i read a while back (i think it was a tomshardware article) about a guy testing some dual-wan routers, and the speed they gave with 2 broadband connections. for most of them, you won't notice much until you try to do some heavy downloading, and use a download manager-type program that will find all the fastest possible links (using both lines) and you'll get mega-speed that way.

http://www.xincom.com/

review: http://www.amdpower.com/sections.php4?op=viewarticle&artid=103

Well I definitely am not planning on buying any new hardware so that's out of the question.

I should narrow down the question a little bit. I'm downloading using Bittorrent and eMule sometimes. Will I be able to max out the speed? I have two 3Mb lines, so will I see 6Mb transfers? That is to say of course, 6Mb is attainable in the first place.

Umm- I don't want to seem to brash here, but if you have 2 3mb connections from the same provider , you may be paying more for those two instead of one (business) account, which generally offer faster speeds and better 'Terms of Service' . Just my 2 cents

Back