• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

another annoying sata question(s)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AzNaLaN15

well ive seen people sayin that the sata drives now r just regular ide drives with a ide -> sata converter built on, true?
and the performance increase that it gives is minimal

also i was wonderin if the the intel 915p boards support the new sataII format

personally when I swtiched from IDE to Sata, I noticed a difference, I noticed that the system was much faster. As for the Ide-sata coverter thing, I doubt it.

AzNaLaN15 said:
well ive seen people sayin that the sata drives now r just regular ide drives with a ide -> sata converter built on, true?
and the performance increase that it gives is minimal

The first generation of drives were like that. However, later generations of SATA drives became native SATA drives, meaning that these drives did not need that controller. Without the controller, the drives run much smoother and faster. Take a look at the Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 or the Western Digital Raptor for example...

AzNaLaN15 said:
also i was wonderin if the the intel 915p boards support the new sataII format

Yes.

Take a look at this thread for a little more info about SATA!
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=352249

woot i get new sataII =]!!!

but also how would i find out if the drive is native sata?

Most drives available on good vendors like www.zipzoomfly.com and www.newegg.com are mostly native SATA. Take a look at the thread in my sig. There is a link at the bottom that compares several drives and their performance. That should help you in your choice.

Back