• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

unstable over 200mhz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OCn00b

I'm just wondering if it's the board of the ram that's the problem. The board is an 8RDA rev 1.0 or 1.1 and the ram is corsair xms pc3200. I don't think the ram would have problems being overclocked a few mhz so I'm leaning towards it being the motherboard. Which epox boards are doing 220mhz or more now?

If it is a rev 1.0 (90% of them) or 1.1 (around 50%) and not VDD modded, then odds are it is the MB. The first revision had the weak VDD voltage and couldnt support 200FSB, very, very few was able too right out of the box. You will have to do a VDD mod to the MB itself and then it shouldnt have too many issues hitting 220+.

Hmm, sounds like a good way for me to end up with a fried board. Some of the links were down so I couldn't see the pictures showing what the smd grabber gets hooked to. I think I should probably look at a new board.

ocnoob, i have the same problem on my abit nf7-s v.1.1
nothing over 200 will work. i know my ram and processor will handle it, b/c i had them running 249x10 in my dfi. i switched back to my abit b/c of the dfi bios issues.
good luck!!

It'll work over 200 but it's highly unstable. I've had this chip running close to 2.65ghz but wasn't stable.

Have you tried uping the voltage on that ram? I have had my corsair as high as 3.2v in my epox board. FSB over 220. I was working on a unlocked 2000 pally. It ran like that stable for some time.

What revision do you have and is it modded? 2.9v is as high as mine goes :(

OCn00b said:
What revision do you have and is it modded? 2.9v is as high as mine goes :(

Revision 0. VT8367-8235 is the model # of the board. BIOS version 6.00 PG 11/01/02. It's more than two years old and works like new. Just put a XP2700 in it and working on it. No mods at all. Didn't have too. Your PSU might be holding you back. It could be a few things. But I know that corsair will take at least 3.2V.

It could be the psu, next time i have a day off I'll swap psu's. It does strike me odd that yours says revision 0 which would make it older than mine but the vdimm goes higher. I believe you have an older bios than me too.

OCn00b said:
It does strike me odd that yours says revision 0 which would make it older than mine but the vdimm goes higher. I believe you have an older bios than me too.

The one thing I do know from building these things is, newer is not always better. There is a later version bios for my board. I tried it and didn't like it. I went back to the one i'm using now and never looked back. I always OC my systems to the max. Just to see what they can do. I might not leave it there but, at least I know what it will do if I need it.

OCn00b said:
I'm just wondering if it's the board of the ram that's the problem. The board is an 8RDA rev 1.0 or 1.1 and the ram is corsair xms pc3200. I don't think the ram would have problems being overclocked a few mhz so I'm leaning towards it being the motherboard. Which epox boards are doing 220mhz or more now?

It has a lot to do with the northbidge revision on the board , the later 8RDA rev 1.1 and up with the A1 northbridge will do over 200 fsb easy with no mods to the board . If the northbridge is a later version A2 or A3 , even if it was vdd modded , it may not be stable over 200 fsb .

I've never taken the heatsink off of the nb. My new board should be here in a couple days so when I swap them, I'll check then.

Back