• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

gaming server requirments

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

anothermbdusted

i play shadow ops red mercury and i was just informed that i get my old desktop back from the guy i sold it to. as he got a new computer and he fried the cpu in it. so what i am wondering is what is the requirments to host a game of say about 32 people?does it have to be a top of the line processor with alot of ram or can it be like say a 1000mhz cpu and like a gig or 2 of ram in it only or what?how big HD does it need can it be done off of a 20 gig hd? i run off of a cable modem and well i want it to be a dedicated server for this game. can you help me out as i really dont want to spend a grand for a server. say $200 would be nice if i could get away with it or less....thanks in advance..

it would be better if you posted it in the gaming section or in another forum decided to the game at question:)

Well basically this is a networking question because the limiting factor will be his upload bandwidth. If your on Cable your SOL on running a gaming server as your upload is probably capped at around 256k which would give about a server good for 4 or 5 people.......

so would dsl be better for that cause i can run 11 people now on the game befor it starts to skip....i thought it was because not enough memory..i guess im wrong?

ok that sounds reasonable it maxes out my p4 2.8 and also the memory its starts to use a swap file so maybe thats the reason...thanks ill try that and see

yeah some games a pretty gpood when using the cpu and mem, but other just eat the both of them all up. it'd say atleast 3ghz + 1024MB of ram for smooth play, and of course atleast a 1MB connection.

1 Mb of bandwidth to run a 32 man server ? Im wondering the bandwidth question myself before i build my new server. What is a ruff guess on hosting a game server. Say with 4mb bandwidth ect...My game of choice is battlefield vietnam btw eeh. Any insight on this would be a great help

This is from the steam forums so basically for CS

128K uplink = 4 players
256k uplink = 7 players
320k uplink = 9 players
512k uplink = 14 players
768k uplink = 21 players
1024k uplink = 28 player
1140k uplink = 32 players (max number)

Of course your particular line may or may not be stable enough to support the number
I have listed there. Local players on LAN are not included in this count.

A good rule of thumb is 35.6Kbits per player.

Certain maps and MODs may take more uplink bandwidth too.

so this is for CS, but you might wanna use this as a base for other games

i dont know about the games u said but i got a CS:S server ( used to be a 16 with 2 reserve slot CZ server ). 14 player with 2 reserve slots and a vent server on the same comp. the specs are in my secound rig which is, |Stock E-Machine| |Intel Celeron 1.0| |64 Graphic| |256 SDRam| |10GB 7200RPM Hard Disk| |Stock Cooling|. and it runs fine. so for most servers u dont need high end stuff but high ram and cpu, fsb speed would be good.

k i think i got the general idea thinking of like a 2.4ghz and 2 gigs ram hope that will do ill find out in a week

Great info thx alot maybe i can find something similar for Poe for Bf Vietnam. Thx again.

Back