• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What would I notice from PSU Upgrade?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Quattro

Hey,

I'm thinking of buying a OCZ Powerstream, if I did what differences would I notice in my machine.

If you aren't experiencing any difficulties, like instability or random reboots, you probably won't see any difference. However, you are less likely to experience problems over time with a good quality PSU.

Yes, there is no elegant solution to a problem that does not exist.

I was thinking to stop any future problems. I am running 3 hard drives, loads of fans, X800 and an AMD64 system.

I have a generic 400w now.

What do you think?

Since you're running scott-free at the moment, I wouldn't upgrade. However, it is very wise to keep in mind that a healthy unit is essential for a power-hungry system. As long as your current system runs fine then you have nothing to worry about. I wouldn't buy another unit unless I was looking to squeeze more out of an overclock or unless I was preparing myself for an upgrade such as NF4/SLI.

deception``

Well I have plans to move to S939 in Q2 2005.
No SLI, but I'm intending to overclock this system I have now quite far, I'll see how it performs when I get my new RAM.

fatguy said:
wouldn't it help overclocking with better rail stability?

That's what I was thinking.
I can't push my rig very far now because I am waiting for my Patriot ELL PC3200 (2-2-2-5) RAM to be delivered and try to see what I can get stable at, I imagine my generic 400w with a 17A +12v might crap out with all the hardware I'm running from it.

Besides I need a PSU to power my barton rig, so I'll stick my 400w in my Barton and get a new one for the Newcastle.

Back